C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wires and headers

Old 08-13-2003, 02:12 PM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug wires and headers

What is the best way to run the spark plug wires on a Big Block with heaers installed? :smash:
Old 08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (conway62)

from the distributor to the spark plug!! what other way is there? :D

just kidding i would also like to know i keep burning mine, i'm using staight boots and fiberglass sleves but it is not helping. i was wondering if wire looms and angle boots would help

[Modified by ykp53, 2:01 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 03:04 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (ykp53)

from the distributor to the spark plug!! what other way is there? :D

just kidding i would also like to know i keep burning mine, i'm using staight boots and fiberglass sleves but it is not helping. i was wondering if wire looms and angle boots would help
Yep, I use wire looms and 90 degree angle plug boots and haven't had any burning issues with my Dynomax ceramic coated headers... It doesn't make much difference what you put around the wires if they touch the headers, they are going to burn. Those things get hot.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (dath)

wire looms :thumbs:

Old 08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Hershey
Racer

conway,I know it sounds crazy, but I use header wrap around any wires next to the headers and it works. I fold them around the wire lengthways and staple along the edge. I have one wire right now that is laying right against my pipe and has run fine like this for six months now. Also, I still have not found out any more on that LS6 crate motor, except that they came with any one of several heads, aparently trying to use up all their old stock. And as I said before, most were susposed to have hydrolic lifters, but some did come with solids. My buddy still hasn't found where he put all of his paperwork at, including the add from HotRod. Hershey :chevy
Old 08-13-2003, 03:37 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (Metal Wulf)

Save yourselves some trouble guys. Another forum member recommended the MSD, allready made up, variable boot angle 8.8?? wires. I am extremely pleased with them. Got them from Summit. I am also running the Accel shorty header spark plugs, got them at Oreily's.

Variable angle means you bend the boot to the degree of angle you want. Some I have straight, some I have about a 140 degree angle. They are great wires and fairly inexpensive.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:47 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (LAvetteman)

DO YOU HAVE A PART #
Old 08-13-2003, 05:28 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (ykp53)

Part number for the plugs should be 574S. They are the same heat range as the TR6 plugs.

For the wires, call Summit, tell them what engine you have and ask for the MSD allready made variable boot plug wires. Different engine take different sets. You won't be fitting, cutting, and crimping these wires, which is a MAJOR PIA.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 AM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: Spark plug wires and headers (Hershey)

Hershey,
Thanks for the info. Its ok on the crate engine id. For some reason the engine starting making bearing noise so I pulled it the other day and am having it rebuilt. Should have it back next week. Decided to add headers along with the rebuild.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Hershey
Racer

We're putting my buddies LS6 into a 71 Z28. Today we installed all of the outside componants (pullys, carb, alt., sp pump and water pump ) I can't wait to fire that thing up. He never could get traction at any speed in the 66 Chevelle and this Camaro will probably be the same way. I know you will enjoy yours when you get in running again. Hershey :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wires and headers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug wires and headers