C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOTTA MAKE NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:33 AM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GOTTA MAKE NOISE

My buddy started driving his '69 around without any mufflers in his Hooker sidepipes. So after a saturday of racing in the ECC I came home cleaned the car up and figured I'd leave out my baffles. Got a fellow club member with a '63 to take his mufflers out of his Hooker sidepipes also. A couple of weeks later ran into a guy cruising in his yellow '71 and after hanging a couple of hours and a couple of beers I guess I convinced him the same because we met up the following weekend and he was making noise also, he removed his mufflers from his Hooker sidepipes. Now I try to get all four of us at the same time to show up at the local cruise nite at the same time. It sounds awesome. I sure I'm not starting anything new, just keeping a good thing going. So for you guys with Hooker sidepipes, TAKE OUT THE MUFFLERS or BAFFLES and let the car breathe. :D
Old 08-13-2003, 11:14 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (lotahp)

My sidepipes are always open :D :D :D

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 11:14 AM 8/13/2003]

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 11:15 AM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

:cool: I was going to fire up my new engine with open headers, buy my wife didn't really want me to make friends with the neighbors in that sort of way:D What's wrong with open headers at 1800 RPM for 20 minutes? :D
Old 08-13-2003, 12:30 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (dath)

You'd be suprised how many of your neighbors would actually like and think it's pretty :cool: cool. Maybe not coming home at 3am sunday morning. Just think what my neighbors go through with my '73 with open sidepipes and my Harley with Vance & Hines pipes. They love me!!! :blueangel: You'd be surprised what your neighbors will put up with. :seeya
Old 08-13-2003, 12:38 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:cool: I was going to fire up my new engine with open headers, buy my wife didn't really want me to make friends with the neighbors in that sort of way:D What's wrong with open headers at 1800 RPM for 20 minutes? :D
It sounds :cool: I did it a couple years back with the s/b in a Chev P/U

Steve :steering:
Old 08-13-2003, 12:43 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Don't tell your wife, just start it up, let her yell later. Let me just say, you have yourself a nice respectable car your neighbors really wont mind the noise. If lets say you have a ratty Mustang (aren't they all) with one broken head light, the mirror hanging on the door, 3 out of 4 wheels are all different, jacked up to the sky in the rear (get the picture) and the car is loud then I think your neighbors would have a problem. My neighbors actually like my car and bike (I think). :lol:
Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

stp & lotahp, thanks for the encouragement, but I already hooked up the mufflers. I suppose I could crawl under there and disconnect the flanges, but it seems like a lot of work just to **** off the neighbors:D I absolutely love the sound of open headers, I had to drive to the exhaust shop a year or two back when I put the headers on. I couldn't believe how loud it was. I ended up wearing ear plugs just to drive the mile or so to the shop. I was a little nervous when I pulled up two cars or so behind a cop car. They didn't even look much to my surprise given the thing was louder than a MACK truck! I should be breaking in the engine tonight if all goes well! My problem is that the Dynomax super turbo mufflers I have are too quiet when I want noise and too loud when I want to talk :crazy: I think I'm going to need to step up from the 2" (or is it 2 1/4") to a 3" setup with some Flowmaster 40's a crossover pipe, and cutouts with the solenoid actuated openers to unclog the exhaust. Supposed to be ~465HP before the 100HP shot of nitrous. I will eventually run maybe 175, or even 250HP shots through the thing once I'm confident I'm not going to break any more parts:D
Old 08-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noise is definitely a good thing to a point. Of course, when you live in the great state of California :crazy: , they kind of frown on cars that aren't quiet and meek. Of course there are those of us that don't give a :bb and ride Harleys with straight pipes. Now the Vette is real quiet and I've just purchased a set of the Hooker side pipes and plan to run the STS baffles in them. That should be enough to let the car sing a tune and keep it legal as well. Any disturbing the peace tickets takes money out of my car's mouth, and I have to feed her, right?
Old 08-13-2003, 01:39 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (Chevyguy1973)

YO guys I'm just talking about Hooker sidepipes "empty" inside. You have the legitimacy of a regular full exhaust but actually open pipes. I've sat NEXT to a cop at a traffic light (500+hp),sure he looked over but it's an "old" car . :jester
Old 08-13-2003, 01:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I had 2 C3 Vettes with open sidepipes so far and drove over 30000 miles with them (total).. I haven't gotten a single traffic ticket with any of my chrome bumper C3's so far.. Not for noise nor for speeding.. I got pulled over several times for speeding - sometimes even with more than 20 mph above the limit.. but always got away with a warning... Most cops around here love classic cars.. On the other hand side.. I've gotten quite a few tickets with my late model Vettes... :( :(
Old 08-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

I hear ya lotahp. It's the same concept as the straight pipes on my Harley. Boy the snow birds here in Palm Springs love that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget, this is the town that closed down the Palms Springs Bike Weekend because of the "unsavory" element that it brought to town. :mad
Old 08-13-2003, 01:54 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (Chevyguy1973)

mine is way too loud without the baffles in the pipes...
Old 08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (1bad69)

mine is way too loud without the baffles in the pipes...
mine too.. That's the fun part about it. :D :D :D
Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (GrandSportC3)

Nothing like exhaust dumping out at ear level :lol:
Old 08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (Alwyn678)

Matter of fact my radio took a dump right before my first trip out to bradenton, for the ECC. I did inquire about a new one but haven't done anything because I haven't put the mufflers back in and I don't think I'm going to :jester
Old 08-13-2003, 03:33 PM
HDIronman
Pro

When I was going to do the initial break in on my motor I left the headers open, and I'm glad I did. Water started to pour out of the headers as I filled the cooling system. Found out that the machine shop machined the seats too deep and both heads were trash. If I'd had the pipes hooked up to the headers I wouldn't have noticed until I had bigger problems. After a new set of heads I drove the car for two weeks before I connected the pipes to the headers.

Sounds soooooooooo sweet...!!! :cool:
Old 08-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

I like side pipes, but not the burns.

Get notified of new replies

To GOTTA MAKE NOISE

Old 08-13-2003, 04:07 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (Dwayne 76)

I like side pipes, but not the burns.
I just recently burned myself....... I still love 'em...
Old 08-13-2003, 04:21 PM
69Sting
Instructor

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (HDIronman)

OK I have a 68 with hooker headers and side pipes. To understand what you guys are doing to I can look in to it. Are you taking off the straight pipe fully or are the baffals inside easily removable. Also once removed can the baffels be put back in or do you need to buy new pipes.

I could use a little more noise and flow, so I don't think I would want to take out all the baffles but maybe half, is this possible? or is it all or nothing? :smash: :smash:
Old 08-13-2003, 05:00 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GOTTA MAKE NOISE (69Sting)

I am just removing the baffles inside the long tubes that run along the side of the car. They slide off the header right by where the gills are on the car. Sometimes there is a bolt & nut you need to remove then if they have not been apart for along time your going to have to spray some kind of liquid wrench in the seam and let sit for awhile and then try and work it loose and you might have to do this a few times, even let sit overnight with alot of that liquid wrench stuff. Once off the baffles should slide out. If not put a thick towel on the ground and hit the tube on the towel hard. Put the tubes back on the header. Simple enough. :smash: :hurray:

Quick Reply: GOTTA MAKE NOISE