C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct me if I'm wrong....please !

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:30 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct me if I'm wrong....please !

Does it seem like just about everybody is talking about resale value of their Corvettes? I bought my Corvette because it is what I wanted. Not for resale. I intend on doing what I want to it and keep it for a LONG time. I have seen way too many people complain about selling their "First Vette" and wish they had not. I'm sure there are MUCH better ways to make money, if so interested. I think, IMO, that once you buy your Vette, it should be for the love of the car, not resale. Most of the people on this forum are enthusiasts, not resellers. Again, IMHO, if your buying Vettes to make money, the love of the Corvette is NOT there. :rant: :flag
Old 08-13-2003, 07:16 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please ! (greatgonzoglenn)

Good points! Here is my 0,2 about this matter...
I bought my vette for me too, not for resale, but it is always good to know what you can get out of it if you have to sell it. Sometimes things might go totally wrong and you have to sell the love of your life...

On the other hand, sometimes taste changes when you become older. MAybe you want now the true street killer custom, but after ten or twenty years you like more about originality, you never know... Or like me now, I heard about one -82CE, I might be willing to change my vette to -82CE because it is going to be obviously more appreciated later on than my -75 L48 TH400 non numbers matching...

Anyway, I think I heard this from this forum: If you want to invest money buy house not car... :smash:
Old 08-13-2003, 07:42 AM
bnytro
Advanced

to the news of you guys dont want to here i got my Vette for free, its was abonded, i got the title holder to sign the car over to me since it was going to be sold buy the government because he left it behind, its complete, the body style i wanted 80-82 but need clutch pedals now because i hate automatics, i sold my 79 L82 4spd vette 5 years ago that pulled a 'G' yes 1.02 g's.... five years had corvette divorce sickness and now i have a money pit again... its not money its a hobby this time i dont feal bad about building this one up :steering: :auto: like my dad said when i was young if you cant drive it and injoy it it not worth having. he sold his 60 vette when i was on the way 40 years ago, he said he wish he never did
Old 08-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

A lot talk about the resale value of their Vettes because they are trying to justify the cost to themselves considering what they have invested in the thing :D Has nothing to do with plans to sell.

tom...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please ! (Tom73)

There's also another side to this occurence. How many of you have kept all your other non-vette cars since you bought them? Or have plans to? Point being, for the majority of car owners (I'll use car owners to mean anyone that owns a car and hasn't owned a vette) don't expect and aren't accustomed to keeping a car forever. So I think most people still have this mindset when they first buy a vette. But after owning one of these American classics most of us realize we don't ever want to sell it and then say hell with resale.
It was this way with me. When I first bought my first (and only) vette I was thinking wow, cool, awesome, but what about when it comes time to sell it and move onto another? Then you get caught up in thinking about how much they've already appreciated and what things you can do to help or hurt appreciation. Then you eventually realize this things gonna stay in my family till I die and forget about resale. :)
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please !

Does it seem like just about everybody is talking about resale value of their Corvettes? I bought my Corvette because it is what I wanted. Not for resale. I intend on doing what I want to it and keep it for a LONG time.
Glenn,

From my own point of view, yes, I buy a particular car because I like it, however, I am also concerned about resale value of a car that I purchase too, not because I intend to sell it right away, but if the need to sell it ever did come up, it's nice to know that I'm going to get my money back out of it.

Just because this is a hobby doesn't mean that you have to lose money to enjoy it.

I have seen way too many people complain about selling their "First Vette" and wish they had not.
My very first car that I purchased when I was 17 was a 1970 LT-1 convertible... I had a lot of fun with that car and have many fond memories of it. Would I like to hav it back? Sure, but not at the expense of the cars that I have now... I'm much more knowledgeable now than I was then and the cars I have now are much better than that first one. I would never have the cars I do now without first selling my original 1970... It was a tradeoff and one that I'm happy that I made.

I'm sure there are MUCH better ways to make money, if so interested. I think, IMO, that once you buy your Vette, it should be for the love of the car, not resale.
I would agree with you completely, there are investment opportunities available that will yield a much greater rate of return than any Corvette ever will. Still, there is money to be made selling cars and just because a person looks at the bottom line financially doesn't mean that they don't have a love of the cars or the hobby.

Most of the people on this forum are enthusiasts, not resellers. Again, IMHO, if your buying Vettes to make money, the love of the Corvette is NOT there.
I would have to disagree with you on this point. There are many people out there who have turned their enthusiasm for Corvettes into viable businesses designed to buy, sell, and restore these cars... It hasn't affected their enjoyment of the hobby or their love of the cars.

Regards,
Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please ! (Rowdy Rat)

<
From my own point of view, yes, I buy a particular car because I like it, however, I am also concerned about resale value of a car that I purchase too, not because I intend to sell it right away, but if the need to sell it ever did come up, it's nice to know that I'm going to get my money back out of it.

Just because this is a hobby doesn't mean that you have to lose money to enjoy it.
:iagree: As always well said Stan. :chevy
Old 08-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please ! (gq82)

Who cares I ain't selling anyway :lol:
Old 08-13-2003, 06:37 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my house to live in, but it is comforting to know that if I decided to sell it today, it is worth more than what I paid for it.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:58 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I bought my Vette because I wanted it. What makes it much more pallatable and justifiable is knowing that I can drive it as much as I want, I can put 10 miles or 10,000 miles per year on it, and when it DOES come time to sell it, it won't have depreciated at all.

Hard to say that about many other cars.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....please ! (ddecart)

Market Value of my '69 today? $0.00

Value to me today? Priceless

But I keep up with current prices just to know what I've got

Get notified of new replies

To Correct me if I'm wrong....please !

Quick Reply: Correct me if I'm wrong....please !