C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:20 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started???

My 1972's wiper door opens and then shuts quickly when the engine is started! Headlight doors and wiper doors work fine when engine is running. Reserve tank holds enough vacuum for wipers and headlights to work after engine is shut off. Any suggestions? Thanks
Mark :steering:
Old 08-12-2003, 11:45 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started??? (mbeeman350)

Check and see if you still have enough vacuum to open the wiper door or headlights before you start it. The actuator valve moves to the open position when there is no vacuum and takes a second to close which is just enough to open and shut the door. Mine started to do this and I know mine is no longer holding vacuum when the car is off.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:43 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started??? (rgregory)

Check the check valve, the little one usually first from carb on vacumm line with 1 in and 2 out.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:47 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started??? (rgregory)

Check and see if you still have enough vacuum to open the wiper door or headlights before you start it. The actuator valve moves to the open position when there is no vacuum and takes a second to close which is just enough to open and shut the door. Mine started to do this and I know mine is no longer holding vacuum when the car is off.
That sounds like it's along the right lines. Your control side of the system isn't getting vacuum as fast as the actuation side.

How long does your car hold vacuum for after the engine is shut off? 1 minute? 1 hour? if it bleeds down, like Robert said, the relays move to the 'open' position. If there's a leak in the control side, it could allow the actuation side to depressurize first and makes the open/close thing happen.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:00 AM
bcliff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started??? (mbeeman350)

Mark,
My car did the same thing when I got it. It turned out the be the check valve that is located on the passenger's side of the wiper compartment, right near the wiper actuator. The valve with the plunger type end on it, the plunger on my valve was bad.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started???

Quick Reply: Wiper Door Opens when Car is Started???