C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New house new garage, need tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:06 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New house new garage, need tips

Well the miss' and I are trying to get a new house, and we're wondering how to do the two car garage.

I like "OHSIXX"'s theme with the street painted.
I'm also thinking of a black and white checkerboard tile,
Any other suggestions? I will actually be working in this garage.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:14 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (munday)

Do you have an option for how big to make the garage? If you're going to be doing work in there, you want to make sure you have plenty of room on both sides to open a C3's doors as fully as possible. That's one place where the C3 section of my garage falls short.

Beyond that, some nice cabinets, and a nice composite tile floor shoudl suffice. I wish I'd have put my floor in right away. Was going to go with Armstrong Commercial/Industrial tile in a checkerboard motif. Put it off and now it's a pain to go back and do.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

How 'bout a large 'Crossed Flags' corvette emblem (painted), with a light background color to reflect good lighting, and looks good when clean! You could combine this with the road stripe idea, etc... If you're real energetic, you could paint about 50 smaller ones all over the floor!! :smash: :chevy :lol:
Old 08-12-2003, 11:28 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (ROD NOCK)

That reminds me. Lighting is important. A typical builder will put only a couple bulbs in the garage. Make sure you have an ample quantity of lights in the most appropriate spots for working on the car. For example, something that makes the hood cast a shadow in the engine compartment is not a good idea.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:58 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (ddecart)

That reminds me. Lighting is important. A typical builder will put only a couple bulbs in the garage. Make sure you have an ample quantity of lights in the most appropriate spots for working on the car. For example, something that makes the hood cast a shadow in the engine compartment is not a good idea.
Your in Texas, so only use flourescent lights to keep any heat down. Also intall windows that'll open opposite the garage doors for airflow and/or install an attic fan that'll pull air through the garage. If you can afford an AC system that you can manually turn on to cool the garage when you need it over the weekend, consider insulating the garage and putting installing an insulated garage door.

You also need a sink and a floor drain if the local code will allow one.

10' ceiling if you ever think you'll put in a lift.

Lots of outlets and at least one 220V for a compressor or welding equipment if not two.

Put your electrical service and sprinkler timer in the garage too.

Locate the attic access drop down staircase in a good spot so you can carry stuff up to the attic easily. You may consider paying for a wider opening but it'll cost more for the opening to be wider than the ceiling joist spacing.

I could list more, but you said two car, Right? :lol: :lol:
Old 08-13-2003, 09:34 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

okay still unsure of tile or paint, if i paint how do i get it to stick? is there some type of concrete primer? and paint sealant?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I install white Garagetek slatwall on one side and over the workbench. Endless adjustments and looks darn good. I use it to hang t-top, shelves, and display 1/18 cars. Also install a wall mounted TV/DVD combo with surround sound. It's great watching NASCAR and hearing the cars go around the track. Windows are good in Texas. Perfect for a window unit if allowed in your subdivision.
Come up with something new for tile. The checker board thing is great, but over done. How about black and grey tile. Are cut out the cross flags in VCT and center it the garage. VCT is cheap and comes in every color. Last but not least, A big beer cooler. Vintage of coarse. :cheers:
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're really going to be working in the garage, go with an epoxy floor paint. Those tiles look nice, but I really don't think they will hold up to serious abuse like rebuilding suspensions and other dirty heavy work.

I used a Sherwin Williams product called Tile-Clad. It's a 2 part catalyzed epoxy floor paint. It can be tinted to just about any color. First you prep the floor with muratic acid to etch the new concrete, then lay down a couple of coats of the paint. I had them add their non-slip additive into the last gallon, and applied it as the top coat. So far it's been down about 4 years and has held up beautifully. It cleans up well and really looks great.

Shannon
Old 08-13-2003, 10:58 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (sb69coupe)

Don't forget the sink and refrigerator! Joe
Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (joe73vette)

Dont laugh, but I'd love to have a bathroom in mine.
Phone jacks.
Cable TV.
Lift.
Fridge.
Blasting Cabinet.
A/C, Heat.
Wet Bar.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:04 PM
TonyQT
Pro

I like "OHSIXX"'s theme with the street painted.
I'm also thinking of a black and white checkerboard tile,
Any other suggestions? I will actually be working in this garage.
I like the black and white checkerboards myself :lol: I fine it's easy to keep clean and I don't mind sitting on the floor to clean the car.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:56 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

okay still unsure of tile or paint, if i paint how do i get it to stick? is there some type of concrete primer? and paint sealant?
Another option, have the contractor add color dye to the concrete, that way the color will be at least 1/4" -1/2" deep. I'm still a fan of Armstrong vinyl tile. Their commercial line is ~ 1/8" thick and is solid color, so cuts etc. won't show too bad, and you can always remove and replace a tile if you damage one.

I agree, black and white are over done, I'm going with white and silver, more subtle and should reflect more light.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 PM
69vette66
Pro

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (74-Roadster)

check out this place, http://www.stl-vettes.com/Garage/GarageFrames.asp

thats what i would like to use next summer. I don't know the cost of the product.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:49 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (69vette66)

Thinking about using the epoxy paint on the floor and a big crossed flag painted on the wall on the left side and on my wifes side a running pony, she has a BULLIT with 274 rwhp.

definently gonna have an a/c system and insulated garage.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:02 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike, I just noticed you live in Humble too....and what a coincidence...we just happen to be selling our house. Why don't you come on over and take a look at it. I was really hoping a Corvette guy would buy it, so I could leave half of my project on one side of the garage for a couple of months until we get our new house built. I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind....would she? :D :D :D

Seriously though this is a well timed question, because I can use some of these great suggestions for our new home/garage as well. If youhappen to be out around the Atascosita area some time...stop by, and I'll show you my project.....er....parts.

Mark
Old 08-17-2003, 06:06 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (81vette)

numerous C5 folks have AWESOME garages....you should do a search on the topic over there. have fun doing yours. :)

here are some...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=615853
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=620427

[Modified by oyealiz, 5:11 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 11:32 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (oyealiz)

damn those C5 guys have long sigs. :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To New house new garage, need tips

Old 08-18-2003, 12:18 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (QuickVet)

Welll after 45 some odd years working on cars, I dunno what you plan on using for floor covering, but slick concrete, unbrushed, is the best....NO paints or tiles of any kind will stand up for very long to floor jacks, jack stands, engine hoists, hammering, or any other typical actual shop useage....
and anyone who thinks there is a paint that can last under those conditions just has not run/been around heavy garage use much...sorry, but it's the truth, no matter what it says on the can.....

IF you have much say so in the garage plans, you may want to do a higher ceiling, but most neighborhoods will not allow a commercial height overhead door, so with the door up you have troubles with a lift, so if the door is closed and must remain closed during work progress.....you need climate controll...
so you have the floor jack and tall jack stands, and nice carpet scraps to lay on under the car....pick up as much scrap carpeting from tearouts as you can, and just use untill filthy and discard....

creepers take up too much super critical under car space....every damn inch is criticality one....allways....

you will need WIDTH even more than length...you never have enough room for work benches and the like, cabinets, parts, tools....typical architects' garages are very poor in width.....what they call 2 car you can't get in and out of with two 4 dr Saturns, let alone if one of them was a SUV....
unless you way less than 6' tall, that is....so where does that leave the width problem for benches???
good drainage is about the most critical thing, and that means slope to the overhead door...without puddling, meaning good grading/finishing on the concrete when layed, it can NOT be corrected afterwards....

GENE
Old 08-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Drew M
Team Owner

How about like this one? I believe the owner is here on the forum.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index2.shtml :thumbs:
Old 08-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: New house new garage, need tips (THawkbh)

:iagree:
That thing is freekin awesome!

Quick Reply: New house new garage, need tips