C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
zZArAZz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights?

I am about to replace my header bar, I am planning on making the 81 into a a street/strip car. My headlights barely work. I am sure I will end up needing to replace a ton of parts to keep them working in the near future. My new engine will not be making alot of vaccum either. I have seen pics of C3's with non pop up square headlighs before. Anyone have any experiences with them? I am considering replacing the stockers with lighter fixed units.
Any links to alternative products would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2003, 10:50 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (zZArAZz)

...or you could install a single electric motor to raise and lower the headlights thus dong away with the vacuum system totally.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:55 AM
stinky
Burning Brakes

I know someone on this forum did the conversion to the electric (I recall reading the post), but I'll be damned if I can remember who!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:48 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (stinky)

I got the electric headlight conversion on my 79 and it works like a charm! Just say no to vacuum!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:06 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

69MyWay sells a conversion kit to go from vac. to elec.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (groovyjay)

groovyjay, I thought it was you that had done the conversion but I did a quick peek at your site but didn't see it mentioned; like I said, it was quick. I feel better, now I'm certain I'm not going crazy :D
Old 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

69 my way, Chris, is down the street from me here, he is in production more or less on a good system for electric motors....

but the system on my site is the Ecklers trays...the first units Ralph Eckler made which started the business long time ago....so I understand....

frankly those Eckler units today are somewhat dated, and I"m tempted to hack and patch something else in there, sand and finish it off, and see what in hell it's about....thinking small round high intensity bulbs....like more modern cars have...but have to be critical here, need avoid the rice look....

GENE
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Crickett
Racer

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (mrvette)

http://www.mcspeed.com
Old 08-13-2003, 08:26 PM
CorvetteKid82
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (Crickett)

Im running the rectangular headlamp assemblies from ecklers http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...X3U1EVVKSC5MNE . They're great and I have no complaints. One issue you will encounter however is if you chose to get the plexiglass covers for them. With the covers in place, the light is bent upwards and not directly in front of the car. You can TRY and re-aim them to compensate for this.. but its impossible to aim them while the lense is in place, so you have to guesstimate. Other than that.. they get lots of compliments :cool: Heres a few shots of how they look from other angles

[Modified by CorvetteKid82, 8:52 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Here's another alternative :D

Old 08-14-2003, 12:00 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (mrvette)

frankly those Eckler units today are somewhat dated, and I"m tempted to hack and patch something else in there, sand and finish it off, and see what in hell it's about....thinking small round high intensity bulbs....like more modern cars have...but have to be critical here, need avoid the rice look....

GENE
i have to agree with that. i've been considering a similar conversion but the size and appearance of the available kits have been a turn off to me. so i went to a local bone yard and stripped a geo storm of it's lights. i forget the year but these are similar to the conversion but the very thin lights, they measure something like 5"x2". something like that anyway. i'll have to figure out a way to mount them but will keep everyone posted when i do.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (clutchdust)

Clutch, I"d be interested in the construction of them....but I"m not interested in plastic lenses that cloud up and get hard to replace....over time...that's why I love the stock type ONE PIECE glass bulbs of an olde tyme type headlight buy a NEW one, lens and all for 5 bux, and have OVER with it....

the problem with putting anything below the bumper line is that it does NOT meet the height requirements of the DOT, and as such can get you ticketed for unsafe vechicle in most states.....

but then again it seems these damn SUV/Pickups jacked all to hell should have the same problem....i'ts a NON ISSUE here in Florida...but we are the only state I know of in the nation with that attitude...ain't it great???

GENE
Old 08-14-2003, 03:26 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (clutchdust)

. . . so i went to a local bone yard and stripped a geo storm of it's lights. i forget the year but these are similar to the conversion but the very thin lights, they measure something like 5"x2". something like that anyway. i'll have to figure out a way to mount them but will keep everyone posted when i do.
I'm using the same lights. You can get them from any mid 90's grand prix, geo or camaro. They mount inside of a black plastic housing that allows for the light angle to be adusted. For now I'm going to stick some behind my grill and see how well they work there and if they look okay. In the future, I'm planning on using them to create something similar to the C2 lights . . . that will be an undertaking, but I think the cool factor will be worth the effort, we'll see.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:34 PM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights? (GrandSportC3)

Here's another alternative :D

SUPER F'ING SWEET
:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights?

Quick Reply: Alternative for C3 Pop Up Headlights?