C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 01:51 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still?

I don't know why I even ask,but the body style rocks,and if for some reason the emission laws get ugly here in Pa.,I thaught I might ditch the 80 body and retro a Grandsport kit to my chassis.Can you imagine the potential of losing 1000 lbs?We're talking wheelies out of the parking lot for sure!

I did a quick scan on the kitcar site,but the only company I saw that made the Grandsport model has discontinued them.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:02 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still? (The Money Pit)

Last time I was looking, ERA had bought out a company in Ohio I beleive.

They've pulled the Q?A? support on their site saying they are still "reengineering" the kit, and when it's available, they'll let the world know.

This has been going for a long time now, so maybe they don't want to dilute thier cobra and GT40 programs.

They were mounting the body on a tube frame with C-4 suspension components. It looked like it would of made one heck of a cobra/viper killer.

Old agressive body, light chassis with current drive train...........sweet.

I want one................
Old 08-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still? (The Money Pit)

I don't know who makes it, but I saw one on 45 outside of Dallas heading to Houston on a trailer. It was Silver with white strips.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:30 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a company at the Carlisle show last year advertising tube frame grand sport replicas, sold as kits or turnkeys (the one they brought was Sweet) but my senility prevents me from remembering the name :mad
I'll look for 'em this year and get a business card!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:52 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still? (76Frankenstein)

http://www.grandsport2.com/

Not cheap at all. But give them a call.

THE LEGEND
In late 1962 and early 1963 the Corvette team at Chevrolet built 5 "monster" Corvettes with aspirations of challenging the the unbeatable A.C. Cobras on the race circuit. The Grand Sport quickly proved itself as a formidable competitor.

THE CHALLENGE
Since there were only 5 original Grand Sports ever produced, they are extremely valuable and highly coveted making them virtually impossible to obtain. Unfortunately, only a select few will ever have the opportunity to experience the original Corvette Grand Sport.

THE SOLUTION
Now there is a way for you to share the Grand Sport experience. Mid-America Industries, Inc. has painstakingly reproduced the fiberglass panels and accessories required to replicate this truly extraordinary car. Whether you are a do-it-yourselfer or you prefer a turn key solution, Mid-America Industries is your complete source for the new Grand Sport II experience.

Call For Information
309-787-5119

Note: D&D Corvette was another maker of Kits. I heard they were having some legal problems but that is only a rumour and I don't know the details. You sometimes see there completed (or partially completed) kits for sale on EBAY.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:00 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'll look for them at Carlisle as well.One year I saw some church group that had a vette collection at Carlisle,one of which was a Grandsport.A cool bunch of preachers driving classic Vettes.I imagine that once I find out the cost of these kits all bets are off,but just taught I'd give it a looking into.

Get notified of new replies

To Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still?

Quick Reply: Curiousity Q?Anyone know if there's a Grandsport kit available still?