C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat belts in my '73 vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 01:31 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default seat belts in my '73 vert

When I bought my 73 it came with lap belts only, and they were butchered from the original shoulder belts (as best as the previous owner could remember). Anyway, I'd like to get lap & shoulder belts, but don't even know where the shoulder parts mount. Anybody re-do their seatbelts?
Advice on where to shop for such things?

I thought it would be cool to go 5-point harness, but then read that you shouldn't do this in a convertible unless you've got a rollbar. :(
Anybody make those "behind each seat hump of a rollbar" things that you see those wimpy BMW Z3's with? Anybody ever put those in a C3?
From a safety standpoint it might be nice, but I'm worried about looks too, of course.

Any advice/comments are welcome!
John.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:48 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (johnnybrewmeister)

Gotta love a 73 convertible. I've only had mine for a year now, I spent 6 years looking for it and haven't looked back since. I only have the lap belts and after some research, discovered that the convertible only came with lap belts. The shoulder/lap belts were only available in the hardtop. If anyone knows different, please square me away. I have seen several forum members talking about rollbars, waterfalls, custom lids and things like that for the convertible. It would be an outstanding mod and would probably look great too, but I haven't seen any yet. I agree though that the 5 points probably wouldn't be a great idea without the rollbar, and a functional one at that. The last thing I want in a roll over (knock on wood) is to be held in place sticking out the top of the car. I'll be interested to see what others think though. See ya around John.

Dave
Old 08-12-2003, 05:37 AM
standup
Drifting

I don't think a shoulder belt is available for a Vert....although no doubt someone here has made a modification...

...and don't go cutting up your original belts, those things are worth a fortune...priced from $300 for one lap belt.......

My opinion, but I don't think a rollbar really suits a Vette (especially a convertible).....if you're that worried about knockin' your noggin....then buy one of those removable hardtops.....

Welcome to the Forum..... :thumbs:
Old 08-12-2003, 07:44 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (standup)

Shoulder belts were available on convertables 68-75 as an option (A85). There's a company called Snake oil that makes repo belts but are VERY expensive. Your best bet I think would check out any swap meets in your area, ebay, or corvette salvage yards.
Good luck :chevy
Old 08-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Standard equipment on the '73 Convertible was lap belts only. The shoulder belt was optional (RPO A85, 788 installed on convertibles). The shoulder belts were standard on the coupes.

The shoulder belt mounted on top of the rear wheel well, ran through a hole in the seat back (came out through the chrome strip below the head rest part of the seat) and then connected to the lap buckle by way of a "button" on the lap buckle. The lap and shoulder belts were seperate, a two piece assembly. That way you could use the lap only or both.

Original shoulder belts are expensive, $150-200 each. Most of the Vette vendors carry them. Have seen them on ebay, mostly in black or saddle. Or check the Vette swap meets.

tom...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:17 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do the Camaro swap (search for it here or look at corvettefaq.com). Its what I did.

As for the roll bar, I know Merlin did it, but I think that that might be a little extreme for you :) But is was very :cool:

[Modified by goofygrin, 8:17 AM 8/12/2003]
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (goofygrin)

Definitely look into the Camaro/Firebird belts. The back-seat seatbelts from 90's Camaros/Firebirds bolt right in. I had a set installed this year in my vert, and they work great.

As mentioned above, just do a Forum search in the subject line for Camaro, and you'll get plenty of info.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:27 AM
criz51
Instructor

My '73 vert only had the lap belts. I replaced them with a shoulder set from a '75 coupe as I don't like my chest unprotected against the steering wheel. They bolted right in with no mods.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (criz51)

I removed the sholder belts from our 1973. I have the belts and the plastic rear trim pieces. The belts were removed from the main lap belt buckle by cutting at the seems. They can easily be sewn back together.

Its a red colored set.

Email me if interested in the set.

tim-yvonne@juno.com
Old 08-12-2003, 07:50 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (mg62)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...&id=1544765356

I'm very happy with my belt conversion.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (Mike Mercury)

>Its a red colored set.
>
>Email me if interested in the set.
>
>tim-yvonne@juno.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer...I was really tempted until I got to the "red" part. :(
My car is dark metallic green, with medium saddle interior, and I just couldn't do "red" to her...not after all the good things she's done for me.

I like the camaro replacements some have suggested; I'll explore that a bit.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (Tom73)

>The shoulder belt mounted on top of the rear wheel well, ran through a hole >in the seat back (came out through the chrome strip below the head rest >part of the seat) and then connected to the lap buckle by way of a "button" >on the lap buckle. The lap and shoulder belts were seperate, a two piece >assembly. That way you could use the lap only or both.

This makes sense, 'cuz I think the previous owner took out the lap belts and replaced them with the shoulder belts. (don't know why he did it, but I remember him saying something like that).

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Truly a great forum.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

This makes sense, 'cuz I think the previous owner took out the lap belts and replaced them with the shoulder belts. (don't know why he did it, but I remember him saying something like that).
Would not work as the shoulder belt does not have the right "buckle" to snap into the receiver. It has a round hole to fit over the button on the lap belt "buckle".

tom...
Old 08-13-2003, 06:05 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some 73 belts and other parts for 73's and will be at Carlisle space H-44 if anyone is their stop by and say hi and I will have pics of my 73's other than the ones you may have seen in the museum in BG.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:07 PM
72obsession
Heel & Toe

I bought a complete set last year at Carlisle after searching the entire grounds. The only 2 places I could fid them were SnakeOil and a gentleman whose company was Sunrise Auto ( I believe this is the name or a resemblance thereof). The price was $1200 from Snakeoil and $750 from the other gentleman. I heard some rumors about the gentleman after ordering them but I must say, he delivered an amazing product in the 2 weeks he promised me. I was very happy with what I got. Look him up in Carlisle as the belts you want are tremendously hard to find.

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2003, 07:46 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: seat belts in my '73 vert (72obsession)

I was at Carlisle last year and had some 72 belts with the electric connection. Early 72's did not have the electric connection. Which style did you buy and was that price for lap and shoulder belts both with no trade ins?

Get notified of new replies

To seat belts in my '73 vert

Quick Reply: seat belts in my '73 vert