C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Request re: luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:32 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Request re: luggage rack

Can someone tell me how the luggage rack is attached? Are there bolts under the deck that will fall away and disappear as I unscrew the rack? Suggestions on reattaching a new rack? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:05 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 2nd Request re: luggage rack (HDFLH67)

I havent had my tank off in a while but if memory serves me correctly
There are semi permanently attached nuts mounted in rubber on the underside of the deck. I think they're called well nuts. The problem with them is that the nut rusts to the screw and when you go to unscrew them the nut spins in the rubber mount or the rubber spins - not sure. Anyway they don't come out easily unless you drop the tank. You might get lucky by shooting some WD-40 at each screw for a few days before trying to back them out.

Thats been my experience with mine.
Have fun.
dr
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: 2nd Request re: luggage rack (HDFLH67)

The screw extended into a rubber sleeve that contains a steel nut. As the screw is turned the nut rises in the rubber sleeve compressing the sleeve against the underside of the fiberglass. This slleve nut is called a well nut and is available at any good hardware store. To help prevent the screw from rusting in the nut but some anti seize on the nut inside the rubber sleeve before inserting the screw.
If the screw and nut have rusted together just saw off the head of the screw, remove the luggage rack and cut the rubber sleeve top lip off then push the nut/screw thru the hole onto the gas tank top or try to pull the cut sleeve up towards the outside of the rear deck.
Roger
Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: 2nd Request re: luggage rack (Ed T)

And if all else fails, you can use hardware bought toggled bolts of the right size. Not really a big deal............ :cheers:
Old 08-12-2003, 07:37 AM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: 2nd Request re: luggage rack (Ed T)

here is a pic of the nut/screw. If the screw wants to spin in the nut, gently pull up on the rack to apply pressure while unscrewing and the screw should break free from the nut. The nut has a lip at the top where it meets the deck & will not fall thru. The easiest way to do this is to get all the screws out that want to come out first and then pull the rack up on the stubborn ones,

When installing the new rack do not tighten the screws completely until all the screws are started in their respective holes. Use a Q tip to apply some anti sieze compound into the well nut center. Do that before you insert the nut into the deck.

:iagree:

I took my luggage rack off a while ago to remove some oh-so-cool mahogany contact paper from it. The removal and install is a relatively easy process.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd Request re: luggage rack

Quick Reply: 2nd Request re: luggage rack