C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Power Steering Isn't

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default My Power Steering Isn't

:nopity Ok, here's the story. Over theyears I've replaced just about everything in the power steering at least once. Right now I have a new control valve, new power ram, new hoses and a rebuilt pump. With the wheels off the ground there is absolutely no binding in the system. Yet, with all these new parts, I still don't have power steering. With the car idling I need both arms at full force to turn the wheels just like manual steering. There is no noise or chattering in the system and no looseness or wandering in the linkage. The only thing I can think of that could be wrong is that the rebuilt isn't giving me enough pressure. I've read the factory repair manual and it mentions releaving pressure in the grease fitting of the control valve but doesn't say how to do it. Any ideas on this problem?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:11 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: My Power Steering Isn't (vettfixr)

While this is not answer to your problem I have the same basic problem. At low speed paking lot manuvers I feel that I need Bubba the gorilla to steer for me. I'll keep a watch on this thread.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine takes considerable effort to turn when the car is not moving also. But when its moving even slightly it gets easier. I also noticed it takes more effort to turn it to the left then it does to the right. Someone before told me this was normal. Ill hang out and watch this post. Maybe ill learn somethin good.

:lurk:
Old 08-11-2003, 08:50 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I e-mailed AGR, the power steering people and asked if it could possibly be a problem in the flow control valve in the pump. Here's what they wrote back.
Subject: RE: Contact info from Al Sindoni [AGRPERFORMANCE.COM]

I think you are correct. If you do not have enough assist to turn the
wheels that is almost always a pump issue.

If your pulley is retained with a nut on the end of the shaft you need
pump number 806324. If you have a press on pulley you need pump #
805324. Either pump is $135.00 plus freight.

Gary

Now as part of the investigation I took my old pump and removed the flow control valve. I cleaned it out and it appeared to be in good condition. One thing I did notice is that there is an o-ring at the bottom of the valve that appeared flat. I'm wondering if this o-ring, not being round, would cause fluid to leak past it thereby reducing pressure. My next step will be to replace the o-ring and try the flow control valve in the existing pump. Maybe I'm on the right track but maybe not. I hope Jim Shea chimes in on this one.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:01 PM
dewcustom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard one time that there is somthing like 273 ways to rebuild a ps pump about 12 of them work realy well and about 20 of them don't work at all and the rest work ok

i have put many ps pumps in and when i put one in i may go through 3-4 till i find one that works well (the people at the autoparts store hate it but i just tell them to get better quality control)
Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: My Power Steering Isn't (dewcustom)

Do you have some type of a pressure gauge that you use to check the rebuilt units after you get them installed?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 AM
dewcustom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Power Steering Isn't (87bob)

that would be a great idea but truley all i do is try it out and if it works i keep it if it doesn't i take it back for a defrent one

Get notified of new replies

To My Power Steering Isn't

Quick Reply: My Power Steering Isn't