C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:28 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone

I own a perfect L-36 LeMans Blue coupe with side pipes, redlines, M-21,3.55,4 speed, tilt tele wheel, all original no modifications
I replaced the wires, but the distributor cap and rotor, points and condenser I did not replace, also new plugs
Anyway, this car always starts up with one crank of the ignition, even after sitting for a month, I just depress the pedal once, and crank the engine then it would start
well the other day, actually yesterday, after returning from vacation, I thought it was a nice day in Vermont, humid 85%, I thought to take it for a drive
well I pressed the pedal once as always, and the car did not start, tried it again and it did not start, it took about 5 times to start, well I thought it might been flooded or something, well I took it out, stopped for gas, a ice cream with my son, the quick mart for milk for my wife, and to the auto parts store for some fake lead, anyway, I started that car about 8 times, and started quick, just like it was brand new
even last night I want to take it out, in the evening when it got cool, and drove alittle in the dark, about 10 oclock
Well the next day, I was going to take it to work to show everyone, because we are moving from Vermont in 2 weeks and moving to Maine, a better position and a great area
well, I got in the car and the car NEVER started, the engine cranks the battery is new, the starter turns the engine, there is the smell of fuel, I opened the butterfly with a piece of wood and tried it open, the car will not start
anyone have this issue, hard to start the day before, then perfect all day, the next morning cold start this happened
Because I am moving and am working this week, and wanted to bring the car to Maine, this weekend, I had it towed to the dealership to have them repair it
could it be the points, condenser, carb?
Any advice
Old 08-11-2003, 07:40 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone (TFranchini)

Almost sounds like your quadrajet is leaking down overnight through the well plugs, very common problem with Q-jets. Most of the time only noticeable after sitting overnight.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Re: 1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone (TFranchini)

Do you have a spark? If you are careful, you can pull a plug and leave it connected to the wire - give a few cranks and you should see the blue spark at the electrode. Don't hold it or touch it! If you have spark, you've got me as to what the problem is. If you don't, look at the coil first, then the other items you mentioned.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It could be any number of things. I had the Qjet gas leakdown issue with my old Qjet but if I pumped the gas about 5 times the car would still start on the 3rd try. I would recommend checking for spark as suggested above. If the only thing you changed was the wires, and if your problem is related to the change (it very often is...) there are 2 things I would check: 1. Put back the old wire between the coil and the distributor. Farfetched perhaps, if this wire were cracked internally out of the box I think it could produce your symptoms. Also, if you have the distributor shielding which you would have removed to change the wires, make sure the top is not touching the coil contacts.

If it doesn't start at all I would be more suspicious of ignition, distributor, wires, maybe condensor/rotor. If it's the carb giving you problems it will be hard to start but should at least start... that's been my limited experience. I have been able to start my car with a very screwed up carb :lol: ran like crapola, but at least it started. MJ
Old 08-11-2003, 09:11 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: (MNJack)

FYI, when I placed the new wires, that was 2 months ago, also the car worked fine only 8 hours before.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone

Quick Reply: 1969 L-36 engine problem, did this happen to anyone