C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette

Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 PM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette

I'm looking at 68vette's 68 he has posted here for sale. Nice looking 68, but it does not have a/c. How hard would it be to add a/c to the vehicle. Would the evaporator bolt right to to firewall like factory air would. I know I would have to have all of the components, just would like to know how much modification I would have to do. I saw a system on Ecklers, not sure how they work or how good they are, anyone know of these system. Any links I could check out for adding a/c add ons? Would this be more trouble then I may want to attempt. Thanks for any advise you can offer

[Modified by C3RC, 7:37 PM 8/11/2003]
Old 08-11-2003, 02:48 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette (C3RC)

If you are interested in retrofitting a factory A/C system, I'd say that it's more trouble than it's worth. An aftermarket Vintage Air or similar system would be the best route to take and would likely end up being better, cheaper, and quicker than trying to use factory components.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:41 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette (sb69coupe)

hotrodair.com has a kit specifically for c-3s, however I don't think anyone here has tried it yet. There are some here that put in vintage air units, most seem happy, but they do not have a c-3 specific kit so some fabrication will be required.

--marc
Old 08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
RC73
Pro

Thanks guys for the advise and the links. I looked on Vintage Air's site and did not see a system for the 68, I will need to call them to check on it. Hotrodair has a system, will also give them a call. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:59 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette (BigBadOrange)

I just received my Hotrod Air catalog - that C3 in-dash kit looks nice. It's around 1200 (it comes with everything you need - brackets, pulleys, dryer, etc). They also have a budget below dash kit for 900 if you wanted to go that route. a/c is my next "big" mod for my car.

[Modified by 71coupe, 4:13 PM 8/11/2003]
Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

`There are lots of thing different including the firewall cutout, heater core and vacuum doors and plumbing. Then there's the A/C brackets, pulleys and A/C hoses. If it is BB car the engine compartment stuff is hard to find and expensive. It's not easy to do this unless you have a donor car that has everthing there.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:15 PM
RC73
Pro

Default Re: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette (71coupe)

I was wondering what the price was, thanks 71 for letting me know. I did not see the in-dash, that would difinitely be the way to do. I just ordered a catalog from them. With that beautiful CA. weather, you shouldn't need a/c :jester Really, I know it can get warm there too. Houston is a killer in the summer, nice winters.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
RC73
Pro

Default Re: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette (bluevetteman)

Yea Blue, I think if I take this one on, I'll go with an add on kit. Sounds like to much trouble otherwise. I don't want to start cutting things up and I don't have a donor car, I would have to find the components.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

C3RC - Thanks for the compliment :cheers:

I'm getting the car set up for a possible move to New England or New York area. Air conditioning will be a requirement there (along with a radar/laser detector)

Get notified of new replies

To Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a/c to a non-a/c vette