C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neat Original Owner Storey (mid-year owner)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Neat Original Owner Storey (mid-year owner)

I spent several weeks in Ohio this summer as my job allows me to work from (any) home as long as I have broadband and telephone access. Anyway, on a recent Saturday morning, I took my mother's 2001 Monte Carlo over to the Sears Automotive Dept in big ole Findlay, OH for two new GoodYears and a 4-wheel alignment. There was an older fella in front of me that had driven his wife's car in for 4 new tires and alignment. We both had arrived at 8am, had skipped breakfast and decided to walk down the street to the local Friendly's Restaurant for some breakfast. We get there and order breakfast and get to talking about the cars. Talk happened to settle on my 2001 LS1 and fact that I had a left rear tire leaking air...

I later found it to be a wheel balancing weight that had been bent on installation and had finally caused the tire to leak; it was replaced at a GoodYear tractor tire store in Upper Sandusky, OH. These guys were 'low-tech' but knew tires...

anyway, back to my story. When I mentioned that I had my 2001 you should have seen this guys eyes brighten. He says something like, 'you wouldn't believe what I have..." or something to that effect. Anyway, he launches into a description of his War Bonnet Yellow '67 427, 4-speed with two tops! Unbelievable! He bought it new in '67 when he was in his 20's in St Mary's, OH. After 7000 miles, he had the 427 blueprinted and added dual quads. He's had offers over $65K and his son has been after him to give it to him. His response: "When I breath my last breath... and only then!". He also has a '57 Chevy Bel Air. He described how he and his wife cruise down I-75 to his son's house occasionally in the '67 'to blow the carbon out' and ensure it is well lubricated. I related my experiences with my '80 also. He's semi-retired and now drives a semi truck towing vehicle for an outfit in that area.

Here we were, two totally random individuals that happened to share a passion for vettes! We had a really good visit.

As he left Sears that day, my new friend stated that he had to do some yard mowing.

I said, "If you get the chance, take the vette for a spin".

He says with a full grin "you can count on that :D !!!".

I replied "Enjoy!!!". :steering:

Man, that made my day!!! :thumbs:

Just wanted to share. :)
Old 08-11-2003, 02:36 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Neat Original Owner Storey (TedH)

Great story! Too bad he didn't offer to take you for a spin!

Had a business trip to Dallas in February. One of the guys I was visiting has a BMW M3. Took me for a drive, then turns to me and says "Would you like to drive it for awhile?" You should have seen my ear to ear :D

[Modified by 68shark, 2:37 PM 8/11/2003]

Quick Reply: Neat Original Owner Storey (mid-year owner)