C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolls in Park :'(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:49 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rolls in Park :'(

Ok this was my first two posts about my 'problems' and what happened to my car. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=622474 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=623436
Ok well on Wednesday I had the car sitting in my neighborhood waiting to be picked up by the tow guy. We told them they would need to dolley the rear end as to not cause any further damage. Well when he arrives 5 hours later I tell him he needs to pick up the rear end so it doesnt mess up my car anymore. He says the only way he can do it is to pull it onto the back of the truck. :mad So I say fine. He has me get into the car and put it in neutral and steer it up the bed of the truck. Oh the sounds of a halfshaft digging into fiberglass of my jack storage compartment. :cuss So when I get it to my house a 1/4 mile from where it broke down I get into the car again and put it in neutral and back it down the truck. So when I get onto my driveway he says put it in park. So I stop it with the brake and then put it in park. When I put it in park it kinda rolls back a little like it always did and he is like whoa whoa so I put on the brake :confused: . He is like you have any wood to put behind the wheel and I am like yea in the garage, I dont think anything of it rolling cause it always did a little bit. So he puts the wood under the back tires and I get out. Then I pay him and I go inside and wait for the 'rents to get home. When I got home from work tonight (Sunday) my dad says 'Hey I took off you halfshaft and stuff to see what parts we need, and did you know your car rolls in park.' I was like WHAT. :eek: I was and still am so incredibly pissed :cuss . So instead of it costing about $300 to fix it will cost a WHOLE lot more. What should I check out on the car. Should I drop the whole rear end? Should I take it to a shop to have them check it out? Could it be the tranny? I am so royally pissed right now. :cuss I will never let someone pull my car onto a trailor ever again. :nono:
Ryan
Old 08-11-2003, 11:44 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Rolls in Park :'( (RCDriveryo)

ttt
Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you took off the half shaft and your ujoint on the driveshaft it toast... there is no connection between the tranny and the rear end right?

or do you still have 1 half shaft and 1 driveshaft intact? if you don't have a posi unit (I thought all after ~70 were though), then the right one (the one you broke) is the drive wheel and with its halfshaft gone, of course your car rolls in park (again, no connection between the tranny and rear end).

If you have a posi and its doing this, then your posi might be out or something (hopefully cheaper than a tranny).

I bet thought that it has to do with the one halfshaft being missing more than a tranny problem.

Good luck! Van Steel responded to one of your other threads. They are very good to deal with!

Sean
Old 08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Are you sure it is just not your shifter cable? They can get Stretched over time and cause it to not shift back to park properly......I would check that out first
Old 08-11-2003, 12:10 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Rolls in Park :'( (Alwyn678)

Just the passenger side halfshaft is removed.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:33 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be :cuss if i were you too. I am doing enough :cuss -ing about my electrical problem right now. At least thats gonna be something dum and cheap when i find it.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:07 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Rolls in Park :'( (bloodvette80)

OK - the only issue here is that you removed the half-shaft. As soon as it is
back in place - the car will sit still in park.
If you ever raised the whole rear end in the air, you might notice that (while
in park) rotating one of the wheels will cause the other wheel to rotate in the
opposite direction. This is what you have here. The tranny is holding the
driveshaft in park. Since one half-shaft is removed, the 'free' wheel just turns.
The wheel with the half-shaft turns the differential - and the yoke on the 'free'
side spins in the opposite direction. Normally, the opposite 'spin' is what
keeps the car from rolling - like the wheels are pushing against each other.
Once a half-shaft is removed - or one side jacked up: no more 'park' from the tranny.

Once your new Ujoints are in - you'll be driving again - plus some fiberglass work.

I hope this is clear. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Rolls in Park :'(

Quick Reply: Rolls in Park :'(