C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm.

The trailing arms in my 75 L82 are bad. Should I have the trailing arm bushing replaced or should I have the trailing arm rebuilt? According to Van Steel's catalog, I can get the trailing arms rebuilt with ss hardware for $389 a piece - this would include a new ss parking brake mechanism, plus the bushings. But my mechanic can replace just the rear bushings for just over $250 (total for both). Is the difference in cost worth rebuilding the arm, or is it throwing money away?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:06 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Default Re: Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm. (Scudd)

I would suggest pulling them and sending out for rebuild. I don't like to repeat any repairs. I was really surprised with mine, as the damage and corrosion was far worse upon close inspection on the bench.
For me, peace of mind is worth a few extra $$!
Good Luck! :chevy
Old 08-11-2003, 11:34 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm. (Scudd)

Original trailing arms ? Do they look good - or rusty ?
If they look to be old and beat - with mucho miles - you would
be better off having them totally rebuilt. You may find yourself
answering the phone - and your mechanic now 'needs' to do other
work and more parts. It will be too late then - as he'll already have them removed.

Do you have pics of them ?

:seeya
Old 08-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Default Re: Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm. (NHvette)

Yes the arms are rusty, but im pretty shure its just surface rust. They look like they've seen better days.

[Modified by Scudd, 11:17 AM 8/11/2003]
Old 08-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

In addition to the PB hardware and the bushings, you get all the other internals, specifically the wheel bearings, rebuilt and running great.

Miles of smiles. Do it. You won't regret it. I wish I could do mine right now. :(

-Steve
Old 08-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You want to do this only once! Pull the TAs and ship them to Bair's Corvettes - http://www.bairs.com - $300 each to rebuild with new wheel bearings, backing plates, etc. They'll come back looking new and chances are you'll never have to touch them in your lifetime.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:28 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm. (Mike Smith)

Ditto on the doing it twice thing. I opted for offset T-arms at the same time in anticipation of huge rubber in the future.Took me the better part of 8 hours to get the shock bolt off one side. :smash: :smash: :smash: Not likely I'll be doing that again! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm.

Quick Reply: Trialing arm bushing replace vs rebuilding the trailing arm.