C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:25 PM
fst_c3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

I replaced the front ones, never done the rear before. Is there any thing special about the rear bearings I should know before I start tearing into it?

:smash:
Old 08-10-2003, 08:29 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (fst_c3)

The rears are nothing like the fronts and require special skills and tools. It is not a normal saturday job. To have it done is also very expensive.
If you are mechanical inclined it is doable but be prepared to work.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a search for wheel bearings, or rear wheel bearings as the topic title, search in archived topics and you'll get a whole page of information.

-Justin

[Modified by Dalannex, 7:37 PM 8/10/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 03:25 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

Here is kinda what your looking to replace he rear bearings. I’m taking mine to Vansteel this week to have em rebuilt. Oh, you WILL need a slide hammer to get the bearing assembly out of the trailing arm. My half shafts each had a bad U-joint, so check em while it’s apart.

Here you can see the person that replaced the wheel bearing last time striped out the threads on the spindle, and used a regular nut instead of a castle nut with a cotter pin.
I really wonder sometimes about these people that do sub standard work…

Have Fun... :D :chevy

[Modified by IBEAM700, 10:39 AM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 06:52 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (IBEAM700)

That spindle looks almost as bad as the one I just replaced on a 75. The last "Mechanic" used a torch to cut out the spindle flange to get to the parking brakes. Also rolled the threads on the spindle and smashed them good. Charged the guy who owned the car $1,600 for one set of bearings and rear bushings. As Norval said they are doable depending on your mechanical experiece. You'll need a press and some special tools. Do a search and you should fine a lot of info on the procedure.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 6:54 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (gtr1999)

these are do-able, cuz I did mine myself in '99. do lots of research. i used the haynes and chilton manuals, along with my own ingenuity. I used a gear puller to pull the inner bearing off, and used 3 different chisels to slowly tap or "walk" the outer bearing up the shaft. i used the two old bearing spacers, taped together and a 2lb mallet to drive the outer bearing back on. you'll need a run-out indicator to set the bearing tolerance. i local machine shop provided me assistance in this area, my bearings are set at .003". good luck! this is also a good time to check your trailing arm bushings and u-joints. check your end play on the yoke axle shafts sticking out of the differrential. I've put slightly over 7,000 miles on my bearings, no problems, knock on wood!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Just a quick word of warning. If your bearings are already scraping/groaning/binding or just making noise, be prepared to find them melted and fused on the spindle. Just had mine done by a local source and he ended up torching one side off. The bearings and spindle had become as one :eek: I will add a pic later.

I ended up with a total bill including all new bearings & seals, shims, spacers, etc. ( both sides ) + 1 spindle ( courtesy Gary Gruhala ) right about $540 including all labor. Plus my mech did a perfect alignment on the rear - much better than the local tire shop had done. My car actually rides good now - I never knew it was this smooth. Only problem was on the way home, I ran out of gas. Sitting beside the road waiting for my wife to bring me some gas, 2 C-5's pass by and don't even act like I am there. I am out in the middle of nowhere and they can't even look. I would stop for a Ford if I thought someone was in trouble or needed help. A black 80 came by and was about to stop as my wife pulled up. Kudo's to him if he reads this.

Anyway, I digress. Good luck with your bearings.

STW

:seeya
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (76Stinger)

Buy rebuilt arms from Van Steel, install them and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Yeller81
Instructor

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (Corvette ED)

Well being stubborn and not listening I have mine out of the trailing arm and need to go to a shop and have the spindle pressed out and have the bearings removed. If the spindle is shot then to Van Steel or somebody to get them already done and then just bolt em back in.
I am a slow learner.

:steering:
Old 08-19-2003, 01:24 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I just finished doing mine, already had them done by a local shop, but there were too much play in them, so I took them apart and did it my self. I made a special too I used to get them off and on. It is a PITA job for us who are doing it for the first time, now that I know how it's done it's not too bad. :cheers:
Old 08-19-2003, 01:35 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

The Saga Continues:
Called Vansteel yesterday and found out they will be at a car convention all this week, so im stuck until next Monday.
I went ahead and changed the differential fluid today. I’m sure all of you know that our vettes don’t have Diff. drain plugs, so I used my vacuum pump to remove the oil.

If you’re like me and can’t afford a 300.00 dollar vacuum pump you can make your own out of an old refrigerator compressor. Checkout the internet for plans to build one. It’s really easy, and you can also use it for working on you’re A/C system.

The oil that came out of the diff. must have been factory because it was real dark, and very thin in viscosity.

The driver side bushing was almost gone, and the passenger side bushing was completely gone. Not one piece of rubber to be found anywhere on the passenger side trailing arm.
Hmmm, maybe that’s why it always went Clunk when you put it in gear. :lol:

Need a new bump-stop on theis side.

Here is the additive you’ll need when changing the diff. fluid. Almost 12.00 dollars at the Chevy dealer. :eek:

[Modified by IBEAM700, 12:19 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 04:14 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Just an Update.
Had the T-Arms rebuilt by Van Steel. Highly recomended vendor. They did a great job.

:chevy :chevy
Old 08-30-2003, 12:56 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Just an Update.
Had the T-Arms rebuilt by Van Steel. Highly recomended vendor. They did a great job.
I got offset trailing arms with new bearing assemblies from Van Steel.. and they rock!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 08-30-2003, 09:36 AM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the new Spal brake cooling fan setup in the first pic ? :jester
Old 08-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I am sure readers very much appreciate the time you took to document that work. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2003, 02:49 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Default Re: Wheel Bearings (76Frankenstein)

Is that the new Spal brake cooling fan setup in the first pic ? :jester
:lol: Yeah, you like it? Don’t go getting any ideas, im working on the patent right now. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Bearings

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings