C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake question, Rotor Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:40 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Brake question, Rotor Rivets

I'm the worst wannabe mechanic, so bare with me.

I'm going to change the rotors and pads on the '80 tomorrow and was wondering why new rotors don't have rivets like the ones presently on my car?

Are these original rotors? I don't have to use riveted rotors again do I? I know it a dumb question, but were they used for security/strength reasons?

Just curious?!? Wish me luck!!! :lolg: :nopity
Old 08-10-2003, 05:04 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Brake question, Rotor Rivets (AGVI)

My understanding is that they rivet them on the assembly line to hold them on during the assembly. They do not need to be reinstalled. The wheel will keep them on where they need to be.

From Vansteel's website (www.vansteel.com)

Remove rivets. Mark the right rotor if both are removed. If rotor rivets have not previously been removed, torch rivet heads off or drive to a service station where they can remove the wheels and torch the rivets in about 15 minutes. A more difficult way is to drill 1/4" holes 1/2" deep in the center of each rivet. Then use a 3/8" drill bit to remove rivet heads. It may be necessary to hammer rivet inward to break the rotor loose.

(Note: MAke sure to remove all the pieces of the rivet before reassembly!)

:smash:
Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Brake question, Rotor Rivets (78Vette-SA)

I just thought about something... :lol: Is it possible to machine rotors while they're still on the car? I've changed my brake pads in the past and the rotors have always stayed on the car....did my mechanic machine them on the car or is he messing with me? ...because I know they were never removed...hmm... :confused:
Old 08-11-2003, 12:57 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Brake question, Rotor Rivets (AGVI)

If your original rotors are ok there is no need to replace them. My original owner 68 has original rotors and about 96K on it. My original owner 70 has 160K and the front rotors are originals.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake question, Rotor Rivets

Quick Reply: Brake question, Rotor Rivets