C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the brakes are not working!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:38 PM
nicecurves79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the brakes are not working!!

i just finished my rear wheel bearing install and during my test drive the brake pedal went to the floor. while it was all apart i replaced the pads and had the rotors turned in the rear. i have checked all of the lines for leaks and bled them until i could see no air coming out. i am at a loss as to what it wrong- what else should i check out? is there a good way to bleed brakes that i dont know about? is it the master cylinder? or the power brake booster? the calipers? when you push the pedal it has some resistance, but it does not stop until it hits the floor. when the bearing went i had to limp for about a mile before i could stop. the area around the tire was very hot. could the heat have fried something? i know its hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it up close, but any help is appreciated- thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 06:48 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: the brakes are not working!! (nicecurves79)

Pull the tires and look for brake fliud coming from the calipers.

Bleed the brakes some more if you don't have a problem with fluid coming from the calipers. Our brakes are a real pain to fully bleed. Remember, do not let the master cylinder get dry.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:53 PM
blackbirdpilot
Instructor

Hard to say with out looking at the system again. But is sounds like you have air in the line. Need to re bleed the system. start with caliper farthest from the master. (right rear) then do the next (left Rear) then the next (right front) and then the last left front.

I have always done gravity bleed, just open the valve on the caliper and let it dump into a can or clear glass jar with a clear plastic tube attached to the nipple. Make sure to keep the mater full.

If bleeding once dose not work, try again. bad master most of the time will bypass internaly. You can feel it most times by puting steady presure on the brake pedal and it will slowly move down. One section of the master will be low an the other will start to over flow with fluid. Other wise, if it is leaking at the rear it will be wet at the boster, unless of couse the booster is also bad an it will suck the brake fluid into the unit and into the engine vacuum source.

Get a one peson brake bleader kit. Make bleeding brakes easier.

Good luck.

Marco
Old 08-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the fixed caliper design brake system it is not advised to turn the rotors off the car. If you do and there is any runnout in the rotor when it is turning, it will pump air into the system. For some reason the rear seems to be the worst for this. Before you panic..... Make SURE that left and right calipers are not mixed up. The bleed valves need to be on top. There are two bleed screws on each rear caliper. The halves are not connected at the bleeders so bleed them both. If they are installed opposite.... the bleed valves will be at the bottom and you will never bleed the air out. I have seen this done.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 7:06 PM 8/10/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To the brakes are not working!!

Quick Reply: the brakes are not working!!