C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Raydon 3000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My '70 has been in the shop for all most two months having the engine rebuilt. I stopped by last Friday, August 8, to check on the progress. While I was there they asked me where the key was to my wheel locks. ( One of my wheels has a crack in it and while my car was in their shop they found me a used wheel that matches the rest of mine and they were goint to put it on. ) I replied in the center rear storage compartment. They said it wasn't there. I looked and it was no where to be found.

They asked me when was the last time the wheels were off. I replied in their shop several months ago when they did rear end work. They want $100.00 to remove the locks.

How can I remove the locks if I wait until I get the car back? Can it be done with out tearing up anything else? I don't think I should pay them to remove the locks. Just in case I had removed the key, but I don't think I did, I have tore the house and garage apart and found nothing.

This same shop lost one of my original center console vent ***** almost a year ago when the car was in for repairs. They gave me a set of the GM replacements but those are not the same as what came on the '70. If anybody out there has one of these ***** or could pick me up one at a gathering let me know? I'll pay you, through Pay Pal if you want.

[Modified by Raydon 3000, 10:28 PM 8/9/2003]

[Modified by Raydon 3000, 10:29 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-10-2003, 07:18 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Should take 2 seconds to get them off with a special socket. I forgot the key when I went for an alignment. They have a beveled socket that fits over the end of the lock and they give it a whack. Then put a wrench on it and presto, done.

Kinda scarry actually. Check with your local alignment shop. I'll bet they have one.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:31 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! (78Vette-SA)

Should take 2 seconds to get them off with a special socket. I forgot the key when I went for an alignment. They have a beveled socket that fits over the end of the lock and they give it a whack. Then put a wrench on it and presto, done.
I agree with this post. My daughter's Acura had wheel locks and she lost the lock. The shop has a special tool and they took the wheel locks off in about five minutes. No $100 special charges, no special BS, just plain grunt work. Hammer the doo-hickey on, attach a 1/2" drive wrench and turn. Simple, effective, cheap.
Gary
Old 08-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks! (Raydon 3000)

Any tire shop or car dealer will have the extractors.
http://www.ingallseng.com/images/5120.jpg
Old 08-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP(Raydon 3000)

Kinda makes you wonder why bother with wheel locks in the first place. Any thief that wants them bad enough is probably equipped with the extractors. :mad
Old 08-10-2003, 01:44 PM
ry
Racer

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Raydon 3000)

i was told that a large pair of vice-grips should do the trick
Old 08-10-2003, 02:42 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: No Key To (Raydon 3000)

Hi, Find a new shop to get your work done at, any of the suggestions work, Good luck :yesnod: Bye,, Peace, Craig :seeya
Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: No Key To (moosie982)

Hi, Find a new shop to get your work done at.

Why would the key NOT be where you left it???? Hmmmmm. New shop? :yesnod:
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: No Key To (FASGLAS)

Hi, Find a new shop to get your work done at.

Why would the key NOT be where you left it???? Hmmmmm. New shop? :yesnod:
:iagree:
Old 08-11-2003, 02:17 AM
FEDX
Melting Slicks

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'

Default Re: No Key To (BSeery)

I've known people to buy cars and not get the lock with the car.They just hammered a 13/16? deepwell socket over the lug nut and backed it off,probaly screws up the socket but cheaper than $100.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP

If all the above great responses don't do the trick, a last resort is tack-welding a socket to the locking lug, then removing it with the socket wrench. However, try to keep the heat to a minimum and away from the hub/rotor.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Raydon 3000)

Do they want $100 to remove all four locks? If so thats not too bad. Those wheel locks are a waste of money, IMO. A few weeks ago I was polishing my wheels, and wanted to take the wheels off to do it. Well, I have the key for my wheel locks, and was able to get three of the wheels off. The last wheel had the wheel lock torqued on to tightly, and there was no way I could get it off. I ended up taking the car to a shop in Bradford, even there they couldn't get the thing off, ended up having to chisel the lock off the wheel, didn't damage the wheel though. As a result of this expierence I didn't put any of those locks back on, and will never use those silly things again. The car is insured, someone steels the wheels I'll get new ones. To me those wheel locks are as usless as a car alarm, IMHO.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP (Master Ho)

If all the above great responses don't do the trick, a last resort is tack-welding a socket to the locking lug, then removing it with the socket wrench. However, try to keep the heat to a minimum and away from the hub/rotor.
Not a good idea. The amount of heat you will need to get a good enough tack WILL damage the wheel. Let the shop air chisel the things off, then through them away. As I said before, those wheel locks are nothing but trouble, and a waste of money. I've owned seven cars over the years and have never had a set of wheels stolen, and I've had some nice wheels.

[Modified by Dwayne 76, 4:10 PM 8/11/2003]
Old 08-11-2003, 04:12 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP (Dwayne 76)

I didn't realize these were that easy to remove! Sheesh....our forum members know all the tricks....as do wheel thieves!! Hmmmm....never mind!! :leaving:
Old 08-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP (68shark)

I didn't realize these were that easy to remove! Sheesh....our forum members know all the tricks....as do wheel thieves!! Hmmmm....never mind!! :leaving:
Not thieves, borrowers. :lolg:
Old 08-11-2003, 06:38 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP (Dwayne 76)

SnapOn has a special socket that has pins in it to match the shape of the lock opening. No banging on - just press in place and turn. I know body shop guys that have used these.

Personally - I would weld a bolt to the end on the nut - IF Vise Grips or a pipe
wrench failed to get somewhere.

Another idea: Grind flats into the end of the nut - making a new hex for
something like a 3/4" socket.

Good luck. :seeya
Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Raydon 3000
Instructor

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Called McGard Wheel Locks today. They said send them a mold of the lock and $10.00 and they would send me a key. The mold and the $10.00 are in the mail. Can't wait to see what they send. If this dosen't work I'll have to try one of your ideas. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Sixty9
Advanced

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP

This is hilarious! Trust me I'm not laughing--I just posted getting a 'good deal' on some Rallys--well can't find my key either--so this is what I did. Took some vise grips and squeezed those suckers on there and tried to turn--the dang chrome wheel locks are to smooth and slips off. So I thought screw'em, turned on the air compressor and dug out the die grinder and ground 2 slight flat sides on each wheel lock and then tried the vise grips again, this time putting my hitch extension(for my truck--2x2" steel square tube 5' long) over the vise grips for added torque--worked on 3 :hurray: but the last 1 is giving me problems ofcourse or this would've been too easy :mad . Anyway, tomorrow I'll grind that sucker a little more and gett'er off there. Give it a try--use a file if you have to--$100 my butt--took me 20 min to get 3 off! That's why you have to do all the work on these vettes--or your going to get ripped! :D
Old 08-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Raydon 3000
Instructor

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!(Raydon 3000)

Got the new key from Mcgard. It worked just fine. Cost $10.00. What keeps anybody from sending off for a key to anybody else's locks?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:45 PM
tedo77
Cruising

Default Re: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! (78Vette-SA)

99% of all wheel locks are made at McGard Industries in Orchard Park, NY near Buffalo NY call them they can help you out!

Quick Reply: No Key To Wheel Locks, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!