C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston, We have body separatation!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:01 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston, We have body separatation!!! (long)

Today was the day. With the help of my father and a 2 ton hoist, the body now sits on a body dolly, with the frame right behind it.

A couple of points:

1.) Unfortunately the build sheet did not make it. There was some paper scraps, but nothing that was in any way legible, or larger than a small post-it note. :sad:
2.) I tied two knots into each of the 4 straps for the lifting harness. In hind sight, perhaps 3 would have been better, I was very close on clearance.
3.) I left the doors open, with the straps shortened, they must run inside the doors.
4.) I did not disassemble the nose of the car. Instead I ran a come-along and a tow rope from the same eyebolt in the ceiling out through the empty radiator support to the from tube in the frame.
5.) I disconnected the nose from the frame just above the front sway bar. I loosened all 4 bolts, and removed 3 of them. The fourth is captured by the brackets that run up to the urethane bumper support. I used a flat bar (very thin, called a "wonder bar" to pry the bracket open just enough to pop the bolt out.
6.) I noticed that I have NO body mount shims!!! Is this normal on a '75? I looked all over the place, but I could find no shims on any of the body mount locations... :confused:
7.) I build my body dolly from the Noland Adams book with two modifications. One the body dolly is 27" high. This raises the body to a better working height for me. Two, I extended the front section (caused problems with radiator support clearance), to pick up the front "tube" that is part of the nose frame structure. I will post some details on the body dolly later.
8.) Trick I used to gain 3 inches more clearance between the chassis and body, while trying to lift the body high enough to roll the chassis out.
I let the air out of the tires! Work real well and gave me the final clearance I needed.

My frame looks nice and solid. I'm very pleased, although I am suspecting that someone replaced it in the last decade, as it is too nice for the rust elsewhere. My radiator support is rusted out approx 4-5" up the sides. Do they sell weld in bottom pieces somewhere??? I also have some rust around the windshield area, which I'll be looking into sometime in the future.

I'm happy, my second milestone is achieved in the project. The first milestone was building the garage to house the project. I bought the car in April of last year. I poured concrete for the garage in August of last year, and now here I am 1 year later with a garage and the body off. While I never feel that I am making enough progress, looking back I am pleased...
Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Houston, We have body separatation!!! (75 BBC Stingray)

:cool: :cool: :cool: Did you take pictures? I need pictures. :lurk:

[Modified by Rich's75, 10:38 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-10-2003, 11:34 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Houston, We have body separatation!!! (Rich's75)

I did take pictures, but not digital ones. I also don't have any hosting as of yet to get them on the forum. I will try and get photos on as soon as I can...

I was hoping for a comment or two on the lack of body shims and whether you can get replacement sections for the radiator support...

Anyone????
Old 08-10-2003, 05:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Houston, We have body separatation!!! (75 BBC Stingray)

My 71 had exactly one shim on every mount. I don't think the body had ever been off.

Get notified of new replies

To Houston, We have body separatation!!! (long)

Quick Reply: Houston, We have body separatation!!! (long)