C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a wheelchair carrier

Old 08-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a wheelchair carrier

Could you please supply pics of some (gasp) trailer hitches on your C-3's(from the underside please). I need to make a carrier-somewhat on the order of a bike rack, or else I will have to move to a C-5 for the trunk storage space. I am fed up with dissmantling the wheelchair everytime and trying to squeeze it in the back. :banghead: The steel behind the rear bumper sure is flimsy. I'm afraid it will stress crack from a 30 lb. wheelchair hanging off of it. Need ideas.

[Modified by Magnum '82, 7:21 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: need a wheelchair carrier (Magnum '82)

i think there was a factory trailer hitch option for c3's, but i'm not sure.

But I have seen a hitch installed behind the rear liscens plate, you flip it down to access it, like how cars from the 70s had the gas cap hidden.

search the archives for trailer hitch and you might find some pics

~Jay
Old 08-09-2003, 10:36 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You can go to Northertool.com and either find the parts you will need or order a catalog that has what you need.

I really don't think anyone makes a class I or II reciever hitch for the Vette although I am not sure. However I bought several parts from them such as reciever tubes and etc. that I used to build a front mount hitch for my Jeep Cherokee.

By using a reciever type mount you could remove the carrier when it wasn't needed and even pull a small trailer if needed.

I would order the reciever tube and then find a Welding Shop and have them fabricate what you need. I really see no problem coming up with a mount to hold a wheel chair at all. Jim
Old 08-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Default Re: need a wheelchair carrier (PROSOUTH)

Man you guys are fast. thanks
The first owner of my car actually had the dealer throw in a hitch when he bought it new. When I bought the car, it was removed. There are just two holes in the steel underneath, it looks like it is only about 12 gauge steel. I welded up a reciever mount to go on there and exit below the bumper(it wasn't very noticable at all) the problem is all the flex on this steel piece. I feel it will eventually crack. I'm hoping that someone will have some other design to solve this problem.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:26 PM
SlixVett
Instructor

Here's one that was on eBay a while back. I save the pic so I could build one in the future.

Near as I can tell, the two small black brackets in the middle attach to the rear spring mount. The large piece on top attaches between the brackets (note the sleeve on the left side) and can hinge down so the spare can be lowered. The chrome hitch piece attaches to the large piece (note the holes on the right side of the large piece). The U-shaped chrome piece attaches under the car (near the bumper supports?) and the hitch piece is pinned to it to hold it up. Pull the pin and the hitch assembly hinges down for access to the spare. I think this may be for a chrome bumber C-3 only...don't know how it would fit the later years.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

You might want to contact Jim Davis of JD Trailer in Carol Stream, Illinois. Jim currently owns (9) :eek: Vettes and has probably already been there, done that. Phone 630-653-7048
Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

ttt
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

These are pics of one that was on my car when I bought it. It's not a receiver type, but you can see how it was mounted. I took it off and gave it away. I can't remember who I gave it to.

Get notified of new replies

To need a wheelchair carrier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need a wheelchair carrier