C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:16 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs?

Hi guys, I'm thinking about doing some upgrades... i know 87 was the first year for the one piece main seal... but are the 87 on up heads the same as the old ones?

Or do they all require a vortec manifold?

Thanks!

:cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 08:53 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs? (ZD75blue)

TTT
Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I think it depends on which engine and heads it is. You'd need to give more info to be able to accurately answer that question.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:39 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs? (79VetteMike)

1987 silvarado motor, TBI....

Thinking to do vortecs, but the edelbrock T.B.I intake doesnt specify weather or not it works with the vortecs?!?

Was also thinking about the mid 90's aluminum vette heads... those are always talked about as being great! Just need to know if there is a year cut off for the old style intake :cheers:
Old 08-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

From what I've read, the only heads that require a specialized manifold are the Vortecs. The Aluminum L-98 and Fastburn heads use the same bolt pattern as the earlier heads, so the manifolds should fit. I think that the manifold bolt holes have to slotted a little in order for the manifolds to work, but they should still work.
Edelbrock does have a TBI and an EFI manifold for the Vortec heads, the TBI version has a flange pattern that fits a stock GM TBI. The EFI manifold can use stock runners or "improved" runners from Edelbrock. Both of these manifolds have a port for an EGR, but since Vortec heads don't have exhaust crossovers, the EGR has to have exhaust gas piped to it from the exhaust manifold. You can either get a stock Vortec exhaust manifold and EGR tube or if you use headers you'll have to fab up an tube to the EGR.
The use of the EGR is probably purely optional if you don't have to pass emissions testing. :D
Old 08-10-2003, 09:06 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs? (Smokehouse69)

Yeah the car its going into is in kentucky... so no testing there...

Thanks again Guys!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87-95 TBI heads have 6 intake bolt holes per side, just like the 86-earlier SB's, but the center two bolts on each side are tapped on a different angle. I used a set of 89 TBI heads on my 77 SB with a 2101 Performer intake, and I had to slot the center two bolt holes on each side to accomodate the the angle of the intake bolt holes in the head. No big deal, and with flat washers you couldn't even see the slotted out holes in the intake. The advantage to these heads (at least the 14102191 castings) that I had were the 64cc chambers. Dissadvantage was the "swirl-port" design of the intake ports which use a vein cast into them which is supposed to enhance fuel amatorization and low end torque, at the expense of high end flow. Mine worked great, but ran out of breath around 5-5500RPM. Try doing a search of the above casting # on archived C3 topics. It may turn up some old posts that had a lot of info. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs?

Quick Reply: 87-95 Engines, are the heads the same patern as vortecs?