C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 05:31 PM
midyearguy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars?

I'm painting my own car and some of the lines are screwed. Anyone have any good tips on how to get them all straight again? Someone said skim it with putty and use masking tape but I'm not sure how?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:05 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars? (james75)

Do you mean you want to try to take the "waves" out of the body panels. Primer surfacer is the way to go, lots of work but great results.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:23 AM
midyearguy
Racer

Default Re: Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars? (LAvetteman)

I mean the lines like on the fenders and such where there should be a straight sharp line but someone got carried away with the sander before and there are dips in them and they aren't sharp.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:39 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars? (james75)

Hello,
I used this product with great results. I used the 410 micro filler mixed in the epoxy. Here's a website http://www.westsystem.com/
Old 08-10-2003, 03:33 PM
midyearguy
Racer

Default Re: Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars? (68rdstr)

I have the stuff I'm going to use, I just need to know if anyone has a good tip to make the lines themselves nice and straight and sharp.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:05 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would use a guide coat that is sprayed or applied charcoal dust and apply it to the filler. As you sand it off you can see the lines easily and you will be able to tell if it is straight or not. 3M makes the powdered charcoal in a tub with an applicator pad and it is easy to use and won't clog the sandpaper. It is available at any autobody supply store. Good Luck, Craig

Get notified of new replies

To Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars?

Quick Reply: Paint expert question. How to make all the body lines straight? Lars?