C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 04:12 PM
bobbosob
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 help

I'm looking at buying a '69 vette conv. Just wanted to ask for any advice you might have on what to look for. Also what's the real performance diff between a 350 and the 427?

Trying to decide which to get

Thanks for the help
Old 08-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 69 help (bobbosob)

427's have a lot more low end torque. but.... they are less tolerant of the low octane fuel available today and use more of it.. Parts are more expensive too,but I like the big blocks.....not everybody does. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for Small blocks. An original BB car is more sought after and of course more costly. In you search be carefull of rusty frames, do research. Check out http://www.corvettefaq.com for help.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 69 help (bluevetteman)

When I was looking for mine, I looked at a small block car also. It was no contest compared to the big block I now own. But, my 454 has more HP and TQ than a stock BB and runs on pump gas. Big blocks get a bad rap for gas consumption but actually do pretty good if you're cruisin and not acting up! Follow the advice above and good luck with your search. :cheers:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 6:10 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-09-2003, 07:20 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

my father and I just got a 69 convertible small block....we weren't looking for a 69 in particular, but when we were lookin for our 74...we looked for small blocks because they're easier to maintian, run cooler, better on gas, and our previous big block experiences have been good, however; when your looking for something to cruise 70mph with no problem, and smoke away mustangs and z28s while your at it...small blocks are the way to go. :auto:
Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Get under the car. Look for rust under the radiator supports in the front and rust in the trailing arms in the rear.
2. Look at the body for any waves or high spots in the part, this could be sign of a repair (68 rearend installed on my '69 :( )
3. learn the differences between 68, 69, 70, 71, if you know the difference, you can tell if it is orig or parts have been replaced. (68 rearend installed on my '69 :( )
4. Look for brake fluid on the calipers/rotors.

The most important thing is to drive it.

I bet if you compile a list of "surprises" from hard-bumper vette owners, you will have a good checklist of items to look for. Mine are noted above.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 help

Quick Reply: 69 help