C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet or Dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet or Dry

Okay, so I have this freshly built 383 with about 3000 miles on it. Here is some background info:
Eagle crank, Hyperuetectic pistons, chrome rings, Sir I connecting rods with wavelock, lots of porting and polishing on the heads, stainless steel pro-flow valves (1.94 intake, 1.6 exhaust), screw in studs, 1.52 roller rockers, chevy 350hp 350 cam, double roller timing chain, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 750 carb with manual choke (affects jeting), Unilite distributor with gear drive tach output, extreme coil, milidon 7 qt oiling system, and hooker headers. The car has a 5 speed in itss future along with the usual improvements in the rotating assembly like composite drive shaft and half shafts. I say all that to say this.

I built this motor specifically to be able to handle a nitros shot. Now all I have to do is get educated on the gas. What is the difference between a wet and dry system, and what are the performance considerations of the funny gas? Would a blower be a better idea, or a charger of some sort. The thing I like about gas is the relatively simply underhood space required. The Vette has very little hood clearance available and I like the nice clean compartment that I have now. What ya think? :confused: :confused:
Old 08-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Wet or Dry (Chevyguy1973)

What is your compression ratio? For blown applications 8:1 or 8:5:1 is ideal. I think you could get away w/ a 100hp shot without having to upgrade fuel demands, timing, or dropping to a colder plug. I wouldn't go over 150hp shot because of the hyper pistions.

To my knowledge there is not a Dry system for a carb setup, only the plate system and the dirtect port (fogger) systems.

:cheers:

[Modified by Corey 68, 3:12 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: Wet or Dry (Corey 68)

I don't have the exact compressor ratio, but I stayed with the stock heads for a couple of reasons.
1. Better heat transfer with the block, and less likely to warp.
2. Keep the compression ratio close to stock.
3. Cheaper.

Dave at Full Race in Yucca Valley, California was a great help and assembled the long block while attempting to educate me (or at least give it a shot) in the world of high performance engines. I'm thinking 100hp shot should be more then plenty as it would be more for fun and :cool: factor then anything else. Besides, a friend of mine has had trouble with some of the rice burners in the area and I like to have an ace in the hole.

Do you think the Hyper pistons were a mistake or at least not the best way to go?
Old 08-09-2003, 05:01 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A dry system is for fuel injection. With a dry system only nitrous is injected and the fuel injections adds the extra fuel to take care of itself.
With a wet system and this is what you need for a carburator the exact nitrous and required fuel is added. It doesn't require a oxygen sensor or anything different.
Only go with 100 horse shot and your fuel requirements do not change, the plugs stay the same, no timing change and the motor will live.
The advantage of nitrous is it is initally fairly cheap but the bottles need constant refilling and you only have the added power when the bottle is open.
The blower route is fairly expensive but you have the power all the time.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:35 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Do you think the Hyper pistons were a mistake or at least not the best way to go?
If you keep it down in the 100-125hp range, you should have no problems. I run a small shot on my Z06 which has Hyper pistons and I don't anticipate any issues. If I did, I wouldn't have put the nitrous on the car.

That being said, a forged piston is better for forced induction due to the extreme cylinder pressures (heat) created. A forging will give a little bit and expand some under high cylinder pressures, while a hyper piston is more brittle. Therefore it is more prone to crack (ring lands, typically) if abused.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: Wet or Dry (norvalwilhelm)

Good info, thank you. I see why it's called a wet shot now. So the fuel line comes off the fuel pump? What regulates the flow of extra fuel, and if at 100hp shot I shouldn't need extra fuel, is this still a requirement? I hate to sound NOS dumb, but I get the idea that this stuff isn't something that I would want to experiement with.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I hate to sound NOS dumb, but I get the idea that this stuff isn't something that I would want to experiement with.
Nitrous has a VERY small margin of error. By the time you realize something is wrong it's too late, it's better to run a little rich than real lean. If you take the proper precautioninary measures and don't get greedy increasing the jet sizes it can be fairly safe.

:cheers:

[Modified by Corey 68, 6:07 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: Wet or Dry (Corey 68)

The NOS injection plate goes underneath the carb, so do I still have to increase the jet size? Any extra fuel should come from the plate shouldn't it, other wise I would be running rich all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Wet or Dry

Quick Reply: Wet or Dry