C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap

I'm getting ready to install a set of Hooker headers and I am concerned about heat under the hood. Obviously it would be easier to wrap the headers while they are sitting out of the car, but I'm concerned with how long it will last and how much of a difference it would actually make. Anybody have experience with these products or suggestions? Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:00 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap (Chevyguy1973)

My headers have been wrapped for at least 10 years. I needed one kit per side. A good tip to wrapping is soak the wrap in water for 15 minutes before starting. This makes the wrap pliable and you can get a good tight wrap. Start at the header flange and work towards the collector.
It really works and even after driveing for extended periods on the freeway you can open the hood without the blast of hot air hitting you and if you accidently touch the hot pipes you do not get burned, you can not touch them right away but a light brush doesn't burn you.
I do not drive in the rain.

This is one of my pipes after 10 years. Some companies will not give warante after wrapping.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:24 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

I wrapped my headers when I installed them with a new motor about 8 years ago. I am not sure what "thermoglass" is. I used 2" wrap that we used to wrap steam tracing at the plant I worked in. When I first started the motor the small fibers burned off in a nasty smoke for the whole cam break in. I am careful not to get any oil on the wrap when changing fluids and like Norval I don't purposly drive in the rain. Only suggestions I have are to start the car up for the first time in a large open garage or shop or in the driveway. Also you will never want to spill anything flammible that can soak into the insulation.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap (norvalwilhelm)

The headers I purchased are used, so the warranty isn't an issue and they have already lost their chrome appeal. Have you had any trouble with the wraps coming undone? I try to watch the weather that I drive in, but in Southern California avoiding the rain is next to impossible.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:04 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not had a problem with them unwrapping. I have no complaints at all with the header wrap and it has given me at least 10 years of service.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Thermoglass exhaust wrap