C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pennsylvania emissions testing (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:28 AM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pennsylvania emissions testing (Long Post)

As most of us in PA know, emissions testing is going to be expanded next year. The garages near me were all telling me I needed to replace all of the emissions equipment (the previous owner removed everything), because any car 75 and up was going to be required to pass a visual for all OEM equipment. Here is a link to the PA emissions site FAQ, and an excerpt from same - looks like I'm off the hook. I thought I'd pass this along, and save someone the scare I got.

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/changes/faq.pdf

Are any vehicles exempt from Pennsylvania’s emissions program?
Yes. Vehicles will be exempt from the program if:
· If the vehicle has been owned for one year and driven less than 5,000 miles in
the prior year. However, motorists must go to an inspection station to verify the
vehicle’s mileage and receive an exemption sticker. Motorists can do this when
they get their safety inspection if the station performs both types of inspections.
· If the vehicle is a new car, not previously titled and driven less than 5,000 miles
before registration; motorists should receive an exemption sticker valid for up to
12 months upon receipt of the new car from your new car dealer.
· If the vehicle is a motorcycle, street rod or a vehicle registered as classic,
collectible or antique.
Exemptions are determined by the vehicle registration or by a certified technician.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:01 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania emissions testing (76Frankenstein)

Frankenstein ,,,,,,, all the above is true , but you must also pay for the exemption sticker . I have an 82 with extensive modifications and no emission components . Depending on the shop the inspector will sometimes forgo the visual portion of the inspection and just issue a sticker . I have classic tags and no longer have to pay for the exemption sticker . I never put 5k miles on my car per year anyway , and in the long run the classic tags are a good investment .

gman :seeya
Old 08-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Pennsylvania emissions testing (ram82fire)

Don't even get me going on New Jersey inspection... you guys have it easy.
Thank goodness we also have classic tags.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:38 PM
drnerve
Instructor

I just got my new DARE tag, next year when I renew, I'm getting the antique plate. LOL Pat :cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 04:50 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If they fail mine for a visual,I will buy a 300,000 mile Yugo that uses as much oil as it does gas,but still has all emission equipment installed.Then I will proceed to cut a hole in the hood of my Vette to clearance the 6-71,and put Classic tags on it.
At least 5000 miles a year my speedo will be hooked up! :yesnod:
Old 08-09-2003, 07:26 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My emmisions equipment is all there, but if I can get an exepmtion some of it will probably go. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

ram82fire -
Thanks for the info. Is the cost of the exemption sticker fixed? How much? I thought about classic tags, but I'm concerned about the restrictions - the PennDot site says classic tags are for club or show or "occasional use", defined as one day per week. I don't know how they would enforce that, but I'm just paranoid enough that it would bother me if I decided to take my vette to work during the summer months, or the impromptu long weekend trips.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:18 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Frankenstein ,,,,,, no need to be paranoid ,nobody bothers ya. I go to 3/4 cruiseins a week in addition to some good weekend ones. The exemption sticker is almost as costly as the emissions one . The classic tags pay for themselves , no more tag renewal or emissions problems . The best part comes from the savings in classic car insurance ! We are fortunate in PA as there was a big grass roots movement by local inspection stations to stop envirotech and harrisburg from shoving their c#!@& down the consumer throats . We do indeed have it real good here in our state when you compare it to some others ! Enjoy the ride and let that vette rumble yessssssssss !

gman [ licensed pa inspector ] :thumbs:
Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I am glad I got classic tags on my 75 convertible. I am was thinking about installing true dual exhaust on my car or factory sidepipes. I was concern about the upcoming emissions BS. Now when I go to Carlisle in two weeks I will be buying new exhaust.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 AM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Looks like my next upgrade is classic tags! Thanks for all the info and support. I'll be checking out some new stuff at Carlisle too. Wave if ya see me - I'll be the guy wearin' the :D

Get notified of new replies

To Pennsylvania emissions testing (Long Post)

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania emissions testing (Long Post)