C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script

Old 08-08-2003, 11:42 AM
tom102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script

I have to take the fender "Stingray" Script off to do some touch up work, my question is how do I get it off ? I know it is held on with some sort of adhesive tape and I dont want to just start prying on it for fear of damaging the emblems or the fender. On replacing them what type of tape to I buy to re attach them? Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script (tom102)

autobody wholesalers sell the weather safe double sided tape for emblems. It's a lot more expensive than the stuff at the hobby store. Its usually a dark grey color. As far as removing goes, I've done this many times. 9 times out of 10 I'm painting the whole car and i usually just slide a putty knife under but that is risking scratching the paint. In your case, I usually take a razor blade or one of those knives that you can extend the blade really far, then cut the double sided tape and begin lifting the script and cutting it as you go. Don't worry about leaving the glue/tape on the car, the more you leave the less chance of scratching the paint. once the emblem is off, go back and remove the gunk with a chemical. make sure it is safe to use on paint. I've gotten away with using gasoline.... but its a good idea to wax it as soon as you get it clean. (unless your painting, then wax is bad, paint won't stick).

[Modified by bloodvette80, 4:50 PM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Re: How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script (tom102)

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. One suggestion, which I tried and worked great, was to use a product called GOO GONE available at Home Depot. Squirt it on, let it sit a minute or two then use a piece of nylon fish line and work it between the emblem and fender. Worked great. I had to replace the emblems, so I wasn't concerned about the foam tape which gets destroyed by the GOO GONE.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I Remove and replace Stingray Fender script