C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what circuits are un-fused in a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:40 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what circuits are un-fused in a C3?

With no fuses in my car I am drawing current. Also note that headlights would still work when i pull the switch. I am considering a bad ground becuase the lights were dim -> indicative of a backfeeding becuase of a poor ground, but then i realized my battery was almost stone dead. Haven't touched the vette for 3 days now, too busy. Will fix tomorrow PROMISE.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: what circuits are un-fused in a C3? (bloodvette80)

A shot in the dark: has the battery positive cable (runs to the starter) come loose from the body and is touching (shorting out on) the propeller shaft (drive shaft)? (A hole worn in the positive cable insulation)

Second Shot in the dark: check the power feed cable that runs from the alternator back to the battery for shorting. Likely spot would be the area a foot or so before where the wire enters the battery box on the driver's side.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:49 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: what circuits are un-fused in a C3? (bloodvette80)

IF any starter work has been done , check the black ~10 ga wire with the 3/8 loop on it is NOT connected to the battery positive,...by far it's the biggest goof up I have seen from the General in automotive wiring...and a repeated problem in starter motor installs....

what happens is IF that wire is on the battery stud/terminal...it's back feeding the blower motor and windshield wiper and therefore feeds voltage in series with those entire circuits to the rest of the car.....and drains the battery overnight or over days of not running....depending on the useage of the car...
it's entirely possible to run the car like this as a daily driver with decent battery for months, and not notice the problem....but you do notice weird functioning of the blower and or the wipers...but if you drive it top/hatches off and don't use either...well.....

GENE
Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Diode
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what circuits are un-fused in a C3? (mrvette)

You guys are going to have to explain to me what the heck "back feeding" means. I've been in the electronics industry for over 30 years (Hey, I started young) and I've never heard that term. I hope it's not one of those "Bubba" words. You know Bubba only knows 2 words about electrical systems - "juice" and "short". As in "Hey, it aint got no juice...must be a short" :lolg:
Old 08-09-2003, 12:20 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: what circuits are un-fused in a C3? (Diode)

backfeed is a common term meaning the circuit is getting power from the opposite end than it normally would.

Steve :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To what circuits are un-fused in a C3?

Quick Reply: what circuits are un-fused in a C3?