C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Couple Rearend Questions

Old 08-07-2003, 10:06 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Couple Rearend Questions

A couple days ago my cars rear got ripped apart by numerous things breaking. One of the U joints busted, the flange that holds the U joint onto the halfshaft busted off the halfshaft, the two bolts that hold up the leaf spring and part of the rear end stripped out the holes in the rearend. It wasnt a good day. So now I am looking into parts to get to fix it all. First off, I have heard Spicer is the U joint to get. Where do you get Spicer U joints, and what U joint is used on the halfshaft/U joint combo sold by Corvette America. Cause I am in need of a new halfshaft also. Another question, I need a new rear end cover. Is there anything special I need to look for or should I just get the one from Corvette America for around $110. One more thing, how much arch should be in a leaf spring. Once I get everything bolted back together I need to know how much there should be so I can tell if I need a new one or not. Thanks in advance

Ryan
Old 08-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: A Couple Rearend Questions (RCDriveryo)

Yes Spicer joints are very good. I carry Spicer u-joints and if you order through Corvette America you will probably be getting them from me. We do a lot of rebuilding for them. However, I don't think you'll get Spicer joints if you order through them because we do not provide them w/Spicer u-joints. They could however use another source as well for their u-joints and half shafts. Do you know why your u-joints busted in the first place? We you getting on the car hard? If so I have the ability to cryo half shafts and u-joints to make them stronger. If your cores are shot, you may want to think about getting new shafts instead of rebuilt ones b/c by the time you buy a rebuilt shaft and eat the core you'll be spending more $ than if you were to go new. Rebuilt shafts from me go for $80-$85 and the core is anthoer $80. Depends on if you want greaseable or non-greaseable. Non-greaseable are stronger. New shafts will run you $130 and to cryo them is an extra $20. As far as a rear end cover goes i also have them but in HD. Also $110. Do you have a steel spring or a composite spring?

[Modified by Van Steel, 7:19 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 10:12 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A Couple Rearend Questions (Van Steel)

I have a steel spring.

Get notified of new replies

To A Couple Rearend Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Couple Rearend Questions