C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter.

I'm trying to get my blower working. The fuse that connects the circuit for the heater controls keeps over heating, so I figure if I can connect the blower motor to the alternater, with a toggle switch in the cab, and fuse. Is this possible, or is it asking for trouble? I also am having problems with the memory for the radio, and lighter, which is on the same circuit. For that circuit I want to connect to the battery, so no more reporgramming stations. I'm just really sick of having to climb up under the dash, and I really have no idea how to troubleshoot that problem.

Question, is this thing that I've circled the blower motor, and which wire would I connect to my switch so that I can get this thing working so no more foggy windows. Has anyone else tried doing this, if so what was your solution for mounting of switches?

[Modified by Dwayne 76, 8:59 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Diode
Advanced

Default Re: Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter. (Dwayne 76)

Dwayne man:

Fuses "overheat" for a reason. Sumpin aint kosher here. What you want to do is not a fix and is a bad idea (unless you're looking to collect fire insurance...if you are, check Bart's "rant" post :) ). Find out why the fuse is blowing and correct the problem. Connecting the stereo to the battery is OK, as long as you do it through a fuse or a fusible link. The blower motor draws too much current to wire it through a switch on the dash. You would need to use a relay wired to the switch and the blower. That would also only give you one speed on the blower (high). You need 2 resistors and some more wiring to get all 3 speeds. I'm not trying to sound nasty here, but if you can't even identify which component is the blower motor, this kind of wiring project is probably a bit beyond your scope for now. Wait until you've learned a bit more about the car and about electrical systems before starting a project like that. I'd be happy to draw you a schematic for wiring the blower with a switch, a relay and the resistors. But like I said...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter. (Diode)

My thoughts exactly. I don't really want to mess around with this. I think I may just take it to our local 'Vette pro. Thanks for the advise, and no that wasn't harsh, only truthful. :cheers: Unlike some people here, I can handle the truth :lolg:

[Modified by Dwayne 76, 11:55 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter. (Dwayne 76)

I am thinking that the fan is drawing too many amps to start it up. Does it move at all ? Does the fuse blow right away, or after it's running for a while.

My thought is that it is jammed or does not turn freely and that is drawing too many amps to get it running. I don't know those parts that you have circled, but my guess would be either a capacitor or a filter of some type.

Try another fan. See if there is another C3 in the area. Run a long wire from the end of your terminal to their fan and see if it works and does not blow fueses. Or you can just try a new fan.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter. (BSeery)

Actually, it will run for a few minutes, then the fuse blows. This all started when I was trying to 'fix' the heater which wasn't working. I pulled the console apart, and think I may have caused something to short under the climate controls, but I have the whole thing pulled apart now, and made sure everything is good and seated, I'll pop the fuse in tomorrow and see if she stays running.

Get notified of new replies

To Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter.

Quick Reply: Rewiring of blower fan, radio, & lighter.