C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's?

I have been thinking about getting a 'nose-bra' for my 1978 Black Corvette, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any opinions on brand names for the bras available on the market today?

My car has the pop-up headlights, and I would probably be looking for the type of bra that surrounds and covers the light, but has flaps to allow them to open.

Any ideas on types of nose-bras or where I can get one for my car? :confused:

Thanks for your time! :seeya
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's? (Trevelisek)

Pick a good one. Some can trap moisture and damage the paint.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:14 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Being a former resident of Omaha, I would suggest a good bra over scraping bugs of the nose every day. Make sure that you remove it often for cleaning behind it, and make sure to wax the area behind it well. Remove it for car washes, and remove it after a rain shower and let it dry fully off of the car. A good vinyl conditioner will help keep the June bugs and mosquitos from sticking.
If driving high speeds I would remove it as they tend to flap and move around and could wear through the paint. I would run with it at night, especially out in the farm country. The damage from bugs would be worse than the damage the bra might do.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I rarely see any C-3's with the car-bra's these days. I think years back when they were first introduced they got a really rotten name as they just weren't thought out too well. I can't remember the exact gripes, but I'm sure the quality is alot better these days. I would think that a minus would be having one on for years and the paint not aging at the same rate since that section would be shielded(and probably more subjected to constant condensation being sealed underneath).

I'd be curious to hear what everyone has to say too.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

I would not advise getting a bra...

I dont think anyone i know has really enjoyed having one on their vehicle...maybe look into getting your car ming plated?? I know that some bodyshops will put on a real "protective" layer or something...correct me if I am wrong someone.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

As a little side note to all this, I should mention that the paint I have now is not factory fresh, and it has scratches where a previous owner's angry ex-girlfriend got physical with a screwdriver on the passenger headlamp door.

I am not terribly worried about the paint (Black) as it would all have to be touched up someday anyway. I agree about the bugs and all, though, they get pretty thick out here in the Great Plains....
Old 08-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

One more thing....those scratches I mentioned previously would be covered rather NICELY by a car bra....which is why I started this query......

:seeya
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's? (Hobbes Blk '80)

I would not advise getting a bra...

I dont think anyone i know has really enjoyed having one on their vehicle...maybe look into getting your car ming plated?? I know that some bodyshops will put on a real "protective" layer or something...correct me if I am wrong someone.

You're right. Higher end cars and some body shops have a clear protective layer of plastic added to the leading edges of the car. I think it is a 3M product. It goes on like a thick decal, is clear, and is custom applied for each vehicle and is applied by hand. I have seen it done on C5's and BMW's. Not bad looking. You do see a line in the body work where the plastic ends and the unprotected body is. The other down side was that it was expensive.

EDIT: since your paint is a little rough, a bra may be an improvement until you get it painted. If your going to get it painted in a year or two, run one. What harm can it do ???

[Modified by BSeery, 5:27 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't recommend any bra for a Corvette (or for most women :)). At higher speeds the wind can cause the bra to abrade the finish, especially on the ridges. I'll spare you the story about my brother in law's new car's repaint after a 200 mile trip with a bra. IMO, if you gotta spend some money on your car, spend it on something that makes more power :).
Old 08-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's? (Vetterodder)

Bras are useful to cover up broken front ends and such. If your front end is in good shape and the paint is ok, I'd spend the donero on something else.

My car has the pop-up headlights, and I would probably be looking for the type of bra that surrounds and covers the light, but has flaps to allow them to open
No flame, just sounded funny to me this morning. I gotta cut back on the Starbucks.

[Modified by Stewart's74, 9:14 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of the bra... it looks like you are trying to cover something up. I wouldn't do the bra unless what was under it was uglier than the bra itself.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:06 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's? (Boofers)

I like 'em big and natural without the bra. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's?

Quick Reply: Does anyone out there have any advice on car-bra's?