C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:11 PM
TC'S72vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end questions

i just bought a 72 factory 454 ... anyone know what rear end optios there where? and how do i find out what i have? thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: rear end questions (TC'S72vette)

First off, welcome to the forum!

Rear Axle Ratio's:
Ratio Code
3.55 AA
3.70 AB
4.11 AC
3.08 AW
3.36 AX
3.36 LR
2.73 AV

There will be a stamping on the bottom of the differential. Unfortunately it's hard to see and sometimes the spring or heat shield might be in the way. But if you can find it, it would begin with one of the codes above followed by the Plant (W = Warren), the day of the year, and work shift built. So an example would be AXW2131.

Another way wouldbe to look for the Tank Sticker (doubtful it's there) which would be on top of the gas tank. If you remove the rubber collar around the gas tank opening and look inside with a flashlight, you might see it. Getting at it though, if it's there, would probably require dropping the gas tank. If I had a 72 Big Block and the sticker was there, I would stop typing this and go drop the tank!!!

Lastly, someone can probably tell you how to tell what gears you have by putting the car in gear (is it auto or manual) and driving at a certain speed. You can derive the speed form that. This owuld probably be the easiest way. Hopefully someone can chime in with the speed in gear numbers.

:auto:

Quick Reply: rear end questions