C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped?

Ummm... what the title says. :)

I've tried looking in the spark plug hole but because of the angle I can't see inside.

Any tricks? :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Re: Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped? (Cookwithvette)

I had this same problem on a 78 Z/28

The only way to tell for sure is look at the orientation of the timing groove to the crank keyway, then compare with a known good balancer
Old 08-07-2003, 07:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped? (73L48 Dave)

You need an adjustable piston stop. It looks like a spark plug shell with a bolt through it (you can make your own this way). Turn the crank to 10 dgr BTDC, insert the piston stop into the #1 plug hole and turn the screw until it contacts the piston. Mark the screw so you know how far in it was. Now screw it out adn turn the crank past TDC. Find the position of the crank where the screw turns in to the same position as before as it hits the piston. Now true TDC is exactly in the middle between the 2 crank positions.

Example: You did 10 dgr BTDC and found that you had the same position of the screw at 4 dgr ATDC. True TDC is at 3dgr BTDC as indicated on balancer (i.e it has slipped 3 degrees).

Old 08-07-2003, 07:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped? (Cookwithvette)

Cook , I have had it happen to me too, on an olde tyme Pontiac, what WAS a Pontiac....back when...and it's not all that easy IF the balancer if still more or less 'normal' looking,,....ie...not all out of line front/back looking, and therefore rather obvious looking....

I find pulling #1 plug, and turning engine by very quick starter pulses, OR by hand via vice grips on the flywheel/flex plate is the way to go...feel the high pressure, and then probe for TDC with a short coat hanger wire or such....
as flipping the crank back and forth...that gives a very accurate indication of the TDC mark...then see what the crank indicator says....and it better be really close, or the rubber harmonica balancer has slipped, and

when in balance, slipping is NOT an option....

GENE
Old 08-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped? (mrvette)

Thank you very much guys. My motor has less than 5000 miles on it but something I suspect to be timing isn't adding up so I need to either confirm or rule out a balancer problem.

:cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

When Lars tuned my car, he discovered that the balancer was slipped. We didn't have the TDC spark plug gadget handy, so he used a pencil wrapped with enough masking tape to wedge it in the spark plug hole. Worked like a charm. Good ol' Nordic ingenuity. :D

JB
Old 08-08-2003, 12:12 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

The piston stop method is the only way I can vogue for. But you need to be very careful and turn the motor over very slowly - as you can easily bend the piston stop tool or hole the top of the piston. Removing all the spark plugs will help a lot to turn the engine by hand at the crank snout. :yesnod: Instructions should come with the tool but if not you'll need to mark and measure both sides of TDC on your dampner for the piston stop locations. Now TDC is midway between the two marks but do this several times to verify - you'll know when you can repeat at same TDC. Just remember slowly and carefully. :thumbs:
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

actually the easiest way is to just see if the crank keyway is in line with the timing groove.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped?

Quick Reply: Anyone know an easy way to find if balancer has slipped?