C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever buy a car long distance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:32 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever buy a car long distance?

I live in NY and many of the cars up here have rust issues. I was thinking of possibly buying something out of state and having it shipped here. Seems like the Southwestern cars are much more reasonably priced. Has anyone bought a car long distance only on pictures. I was thinking of having someone look at it and then have an independent inspection done. What do you guys think. P.S. I am looking for a C3 under $9000.00.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:36 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (kaz1961)

I'll check it out if you find one in Tulsa. There's a few available in the area.

I bought mine based on pictures in Minnesota - it had just arrived there from Texas where it spent much of its life. I flew up to buy it and drove it home.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:39 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dating women from the Net is as close as I've come to that. Does that count? :blueangel: :lol: :hat :jester :blueangel:
Old 08-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

If you find one that you are willing to buy long distance, spend the extra bucks and go see it. I found one about 1K miles away, flew out to see it and drove it home. I also bought a car off of ebay, about 1200 miles away. For an extra amount the seller agreed to bring it about 3/4ths the way (excuse for him to visit family) and I pick the car up there. The payment for the car did not change hands until I saw the car. (If it was not as expected I would have just walked away. May have gotten bad ebay feedback but that is better than getting stuck with a rust bucket.) The car was what I had expected so drove it back home.

My thinking is don't exchange any money until you see the car.

tom...
Old 08-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (Tom73)

I live in jersey and bought my truck on ebay, and it was located in utah... only saw one pic of it before it got here.

would I do that with a vette, hell no!!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (Metal Wulf)

My 93 was almost 1000 miles away from me. The car sounded great and saw some pics and I made a deal over the phone with the buy but we agreed that if the car was not what I thought it was..I could back out and no hard feelings and I flew out there and the car was ever better then I had imagined and I drove it home. It was a great trip/time. I could not have asked for a better car and the owner was great. It was a great experience.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (SanDiegoPaul)

Dating women from the Net is as close as I've come to that. Does that count? :blueangel: :lol: :hat :jester :blueangel:
You too? If anyone ever thought E-bay was a rotten place to believe pictures you don't know "Glamour Shots".

So much for that....

Bought both vettes off of E-bay. One out of Coburg, Canada and the last one out of Ohio. The Canuck one is about to drive me broke.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (bgrice)

I live in Northeast Pennsylvania and bought a 1996 Grand Sport convertible with torch red interior from CnV in Scottsdale AZ. The car was what they told me and I was pleased. Thinking back on it I took a hugh risk because I wired them $36,500 and only seen a few pictures on the net. But when you are buying a car that only 53 were built you have to be a little flexible.

If I were buying any big dollar C3 and older I would go and check it out.

[Modified by Corvette ED, 11:08 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (GreyGhost)

My 93 was almost 1000 miles away from me. The car sounded great and saw some pics and I made a deal over the phone with the buy but we agreed that if the car was not what I thought it was..I could back out and no hard feelings and I flew out there and the car was ever better then I had imagined and I drove it home. It was a great trip/time. I could not have asked for a better car and the owner was great. It was a great experience.
Same here, I bought my 94 from a forum member in Georgia, 1200 mile round trip. Seller gauranteed the car was as described, pictures were acurate, and that I would not be disappointed. He was right, but I did have the option to turn around and leave it behind. I agree, don't pay till you see and drive. One of the best buys I ever made. :thumbs:
Old 08-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I did. No regrets. Except for the 1200 mile round trip in a weekend, then back to work on Monday :U

I kinda sensed the buyer was an honest guy and he didn't misrepresent the car. I think I might have a paid half a large over what I should have, but it was what I wanted: A NOM BIG BLOCK.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 AM
RC73
Pro

I'm also looking for one myself. I request detailed photos and ask many questions. The problem that I found out just this week is, if the seller is slow in answering emails, someone could come along and buy it from under you. Request photos and if your interested in it get a phone number and give the seller a call. This is a better and faster way to get your questions answered.

Try posting here on the forum and see if there are any of the great people here close to the seller and have them go check it out for you. Most of the crew here are experts and know what to look for, if they have the time, they will offer to help. Also, pay them something for their time and help.

I plan on going and picking the one I find up and driving it back home. Depending on where the car is located and the closes shipping terminal for the shipper you use, shipping can be exspensive. If they live in the sticks or not near a major city it is even more exspensive. I would rather put the money into the car instead of paying a shipper if possible. Of course some people just do not have the time to go pick it up, so you really have no other chose.

Good luck with you search

[Modified by C3RC, 5:09 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:15 AM
RC73
Pro

:cheers:

[Modified by C3RC, 5:16 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 03:15 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

You betcha, just be careful. I live in San Diego but bought my 73 vert in Atlanta - my oh my was that a beautiful drive home! As others have mentioned, just make it clear that no money changes hands until you see & are satisfied with the car (you or some rep. you hire/trust). No decent seller would complain about that.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a few people who have sent vhs video's of the car. 5 minutes of tape with tell alot. You can see the car start, hear it run and see all around. If you can convince the owner to send a video if you are serious. May save you a wasted trip. My $0.02
Old 08-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (johnnybrewmeister)

I bought mine in Rhode Island (I live in Texas). I arranged with a corvette shop in the area to inspect the car and act as a third party for the transaction. I flew up there, met the owner, and we drove to the corvette shop (I did not tell him that I made these arrangements until I arrived, and was willing to walk away if he refused).

The car was as described, I agreed on his price and gave him a deposit. The corvette shop called me the next day and let me know that they had the car. I then wired the money to the owner. The corvette shop helped with shipping the car to me and I paid them for the inspection and storage.

It was a great business transaction for all.

I suggest that you do not buy a car without having someone with corvette knowledge look at it. There are a lot of "interesting" people out there selling cars. Contact forum members in the area to see if it is worth you traveling to see it. It is a fun experence if you know what you are buying.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 AM
69Rat
Racer

Hey kaz1961: I didn't buy my '69 vette that way, but I did buy my '98 Chevy Silverado off of Ebay, and saved $6,000 off what the local dealers wanted!! He had a bunch of pics... and I asked alot of questions. I lived in VA Beach, VA and he was in Dallas, Tx. My wife and I flew out on AirTran for $100, and he picked us up at the airport.. The truck was perfect..just as described! We drove it home, and had a nice trip!
Basic rule... be honest about your search, and ask ALOT of questions! If they hem-hall around, or try to not answer them... run! I buy from the internet all the time, and have yet to get ripped off... btw.. I still have my truck, 3 yrs now... still love it! :hurray:

Old 08-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (SanDiegoPaul)

This was a nightmare for me. Liars, deception, and trolls!!! :troll Anyway....bought my 72 via email. I lost an ebay auction for it, and when the winner backed out the seller emailed me. He wanted a deposit and I said Hell No...not till I see it. I live in Illinois so I flew to Long Island NY. Car was a running project and I walked away. He lowered the price considerably and I drove it the 900 miles home with no problems. LOOK BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever buy a car long distance?

Old 08-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (Tom73)

When I was looking for a 1975 Vert back in 1982, there was a 4,000 mile one advertized in Iowa. I called the seller who said it was 100% original. Luckily, I had an old college buddy who lived near the seller and he was able to take a look for me. It did not have an original engine! That saved me two one way airline tickets; one to Iowa from Michigan and then back again.

Later, I saw one advertized from New Jersey. I talked with the seller for almost an hour. I came to trust his description and we made a deal over the phone. Several weeks later I flew out to New Jersey just based on the seller's information. I found it to be just about exactly what he had described. The deal was closed and I drove it back to Michigan.

I still have the 75 Vert.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:59 AM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a car long distance? (Jim Shea)

Bought mine from Ohio.

Had the guy take about 20+ pictures.
We made an arrangement where I could have the car shipped and had 48 hours to inspect. If I found anything which was bad or undisclosed, I could ship it back and get a refund of the purchase price plus one segment of the shipping.

Still have the car.

If you ever find a car in Florida, be happy to check it out for ya.

Bill
:)
Old 08-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Just a thought, but why not cruise over to the for sale section of the forum and see what is available? I have found most everyone on the forum is pretty honest and there might be a C-3 in there with your name on it.

Best of luck

CVT4ME :cheers:

Quick Reply: Anyone ever buy a car long distance?