C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:47 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell.

What kind of problem, I've heard 1980 models have a lot of wiring troubles. Also please indicate what the problem turned out to be and the likelyhood of it happening in other 80's. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell.

Don't all c3s have wiring problems??? :lol: Mine certainly does.

Any defect specific to an 80 would be irrelevant in a 20+ year old wiring harness. If it made it this far it can't be all bad!
Old 08-07-2003, 05:12 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell. (Jack71)

I Always thought that it was the same wiring system from 68 through 80, but it seems a lot of guys with 80's are chirping in with problems, also magazines have 1980 models with wiring problems.... my Haynes manual has a special section for the 80 wiring system AND 81 had a computer so theres a chance they tried some new things the year prior to it....... so THERE. :p:
Old 08-07-2003, 05:15 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette?

Unless Bubba has been at work, most likely your problems are ground related.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:19 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell. (Jack71)

I have power window problems,and power lock problems,but as previously noted how long can you expect a 23+ year old car to not have a problem or three.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:40 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re:

at least another year......
Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 PM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: Re: (bloodvette80)

The 1980's have more problems because they have more electrical equipments. Like the delay wiper/washer, courtesy light timer and A/C that were standard option that year. You can add electric antenna, power windows, power locks if your car came with it.

For my part, I had to deal with the wiper/washer control box.

I think that a heated dry winter storage really help to avoid electrical problem in the long run.

Stephan

[Modified by American Boy, 6:02 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Re: (bloodvette80)

at least another year......
:lol:

When I hooked up my door ajar switch I had an interior filled with smoke in 10 seconds. I quickly disconnected the battery and opened the garage to push it out before it took my house. To my dismay, my wife had 3 tons of mulch delivered and dumped in the driveway.:skep:

Then I was playing "How to remove your interior in 30 seconds or less..."

That, is an electrical PROBLEM.

Turned out bubba decided bypass the fuse box for that circuit.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: Re: (Jack71)

Don't call my dad bubba!

We bypass the fuse box as often as possible when repairing electrical :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 08:45 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: Re: (Hobbes Blk '80)

Wow, did Bubba work on my car too?!

Power door locks do not work. For awhile the interior light didn't work, then it worked all of the time. My voltmeter has never really worked but once or twice and the light has been on all except a handful of drives ever since I've owned the car.

Sam
(contemplating selling and starting over from scratch...)
Old 08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
80Xflags
Pro

Default Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell. (bloodvette80)

Can't say I've had all too many problems. All my buzzers, timers, lights, gauges, horns, and accessories work. I even wired in an electric antenna that works just fine. (Crap, I probably just jinxed myself :banghead: .) The only electric items I have with issues (excuse me, problems ;) ) are my theft horn which was disconnected by the previous owner and my choke light that likes to flicker sometimes. I did have a power drain a few months ago, but I never quite figured out what it was . . . may have just let the car sit too long with some old flakey relays. I basically just got all my electrical stuff working and the drain went away . . . my car can sit for 2-3 weeks now at a time and still fire right up. I wish I had more insight, but since most of my wiring is problem free, I'm :confused: .

Good luck. :cheers:
Matt
Old 08-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell. (80Xflags)

Bypassing the fuse box is a good idea, but what about fuses? When you rewired did you use the regular fuses, or did you use circuit breakers (If they're available, I assume they are).
Old 08-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell. (80Xflags)

Can't say I've had all too many problems. All my buzzers, timers, lights, gauges, horns, and accessories work.
:iagree: and most likely have now jinxed myself as well. If I had any electrical problems I might be able to help you out but so far....nuttin. :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 10:24 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Re: (sewright)

My delay wipers don't work, but hey ---- I live in the desert. I really don't need wipers anyway.

Everyonce in a while I will get a power window or power door lock switch that won't work. I am going to replace all 4 and spray the terminals with cleaner and then goop them full of dielectric grease.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:08 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Re: (BSeery)

Power antenna, light switch (only had bright and off), locks, windows, alarm system (disabled now....blah thing), cigarette lighter, circuit board on back of tach, headlights, tailight grounds..........just to name a few. Always little things. Nothing too major and all, with the exception of the anti-theft system, have been fixed with no prob. My 82' truck has presented just as many wiring dilmmas with half the options the Vette has so I'm not complaining.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:21 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Default Re: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? (bloodvette8)

I bought mine Bubba-ized. It ran but he did not like dome light staying on and started to rip wires out. I have the interior out and plan on replacing as much as I can from Lectric. Long and costly, but I'll feel more at ease in the long run. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have electrical problems in their 80Vette? Please come forward and tell.