C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to VIN when replacing frame????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens to VIN when replacing frame????

OK, so while pondering my current project, I got to thinking. If the frame had been replaced during the cars life time with a new one, the VIN would not match up right? What do you get for a stamped VIN if you buy a replacement frame from GM? Just curious... :confused:

[Modified by 75 BBC Stingray, 2:37 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 04:11 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: What happens to VIN when replacing frame???? (75 BBC Stingray)

Honestly, in all the cars I have seen the frames have no numbers that are readily apparent, just too much dirt and corrosion...so IF you find some numbers supposedly on top of the frame where you can't normally see them, and supposedly it not part of 'judging'....forgetaboutit.....

the only part of any car you ever really need is that vin tag visable throug the windshield, and its easy to swap over, the rest of the numbers whereever they are on any car are hardly ever inspected, there are just toooooo many cars out there for the guvvmint to give much of a damn....

you got clean title, and easy seen vin tag...you got a car, simple as that....

OH, and there is NO signature verification from owner to owner or especially state to state either....NONE....

GENE
Old 08-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: What happens to VIN when replacing frame???? (mrvette)

If you changed the frame you still keep the vin tag on the windshield post. As stated above the factory stamped number above the left wheel well is long rusted off.

To make you feel better take several pictures of the frame change just to prove what was done.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What happens to VIN when replacing frame???? (Corvette ED)

How much of the car would have to be 'replaced', or taken from another car before you would have to get a new VIN? Okay, that really makes no sense. If you replaced say a front clip on your car, would you take the VIN from the new clip, or keep the old one?? Again, not sure if I'm wording this right.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:46 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What happens to VIN when replacing frame???? (Dwayne 76)

Dwayne

From what I know up here the VIN stays with the Body. so if you change the front clip you keep your old VIN. I have been told that the VIN can stay with the frame but not sure on that one.

Steve :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To What happens to VIN when replacing frame????

Quick Reply: What happens to VIN when replacing frame????