C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilt steering advise (change out)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tilt steering advise (change out)

What parts would have to be changed on a 71 to change it from no tilt- to tilt?
Would I have to change the whole colum down to the steering box?
Is there a company where I can get the parts or would I have to fine them used. Thanks for you help.

[Modified by C3RC, 3:45 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Tilt steering advise (C3RC)

You cannot convert a standard (non-adjustable) steering column to a tilt or T&T. Although both type Corvette steering columns interchange easily in terms of bolting into the Vette, their individual parts go together quite differently. There were four generations of C3 steering columns.

1968 Standard or a Telescoping Only column (unique for 1967 and 68 only)
1969 through 1976 Standard or T&T column (interchangeable through these years.
1977 Standard or T&T column (Unique for one year with windshield wiper switch as part of the dimmer and turn signal lever.)
1978 and 1979 Standard (w/w switch back on dash, dimmer still part of turn signal lever.) Standard column discontinued after 1979.
1978 through 1982 T&T column (w/w switch back on dash, dimmer still part of turn signal lever.)

I know that Paragon (800) 882-4688 advertizes that they sell complete steering columns.

You could also check: http://www.columnsgalore.com http://www.gruhala.com/

Otherwise, you will have to call Corvette vendors and see what they have. I am sure there must be others.

Be sure to get the steering wheel attaching hardware as well as the telescoping parts, turn signal lever, and tilt lever when you purchase the steering column. Your standard steering column parts won't do you much good.

The 1976 Corvette had a one year only steering wheel. The steering column was the same from 1969 through 1976 but the horn, steering wheel, and telescoping parts were unique for that one year.

You could install a 1977 column in a later Vette and just not use the w/w switch that is inside the column.

You cannot use a 1978 through 1982 column in a 1977 vehicle because you won't have a w/w switch.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:55 AM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tilt steering advise (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim for the info. So that I understand what you are saying, It can be changed but not converted, I just have to change the whole colume down to the steering box, is that correct?

Thanks again
Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Tilt steering advise (C3RC)

The whole steering column down to the flexible coupling. The flexible coupling stays the same.

Good luck,

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Tilt steering advise (change out)

Quick Reply: Tilt steering advise (change out)