C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator part number

Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 AM
theoUK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator part number

Can anyone tell me the correct part no. for the alternator in my 1980 L48?
The one that's in there presently is having a bit of trouble keeping up, if i load it much.
During the day, no headlights, it's fine. Voltmeter up at 13.5 or more.
With the lights on, revs need to be up over 1500 or so, to keep the voltmeter from dropping back. With, say, lights and rear defog on, it's hopeless - if i sit at idle for more than a few minutes, the voltmeter drops like hell.
This one's part no. is 1102901 - 61 Amp rating according to the stamping on the case. I just wonder if it should be a more powerful one for this car?

If I discover it is the right model, I assume it needs a rebuild - how easy is it to get brushes/rectifier/diodes for these? I know you'll say "buy a new one", but I at least want to have a crack at it. :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 07:34 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Alternator part number (theoUK)

Hi,
The alternator on my '81 is a 70amp version (I think). I tried to get some bearings for it & was told that any auto electrician who rebuilds alternators would be able to get all the parts. The auto electrician I talked to wanted to rebuild mine, & wouldn't just sell me just the bearings :( If you find where to get the bits in this country could you let me know?

And now for something completely different! The harmonic damper installation tool is a stud that screws into the nose of the crank. Onto this screws a guide with the end being nearly the same size as the crank snout. The damper slides over this (& is held true to the crank) & then a large plate is slid on. The other end of the guide is reduced in diameter & threaded for a large nut to press the damper onto the crank. The plate has a bearing incorporated in it which the nut presses against (without the bearing the nut would just rip into the plate).
:cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 07:50 AM
theoUK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Alternator part number (UKPaul)

Hey Paul
Doesn't surprise me about the electrician not wanting to sell you bearings - It's a bit of a pain when they do things like that, but I suppose they have to make a living(!) :nopity

I'll definitely let you know of any news if i do take the alternator apart and can get any bits. I'd still like to know the correct part number(s) for 1980 alternators, if anyone's got them out there.....

The balancer tool sounds like a meaty bit of kit, i just hope mine slides back on with the pulley bolt alone - Although I'm planning to take it very carefully, as the last thing i want is to take the crank out to drill out a broken bolt :cry

Im still waiting on my friend's puller, so it's all theoretical at the moment anyway...
Cheers!
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator part number

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator part number