C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with carb...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 AM
VettePup
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carb...

Ever since we got our 78 it has had a problem, It stutters on takeoff from a dead stop,kinda feels like its flooding out.Dont have all the part numbers right now but i can get them in the morning. As far as i can remember it has a 305 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake and a Edelbrock 4 barrel carb,I believe the number on it was 1400,but will check to be sure. When i first attempted to adjust the mixture screws i found they had been turned about 4 and a half turns out,i turned them all the way in and then backed them out 1 and a half turns and that solved alot of the problem,but i still get the stumble between 1000-1300 rpms on take off.The carb does not seem to have any form of manual or electric choke that i can find and all the vacume lines seem to be attached. Above 1300 RPMs there is no problem and it revs fine in park or neutral,but under strain it bogs down.I am very new to working on this car and i am unsure what kind of internal mods have been done to the engine.I know this makes me sound like an idiot but i would like to hear any advice you can give me on solving this problem.Thanks and please dont flame me too bad. :banghead:
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Help with carb... (VettePup)

Check the adjustment of the accelerator pump. Look at the lever on the top left front corner of the carb. It should have 4 holes in it with the actuator rod in one of the holes. If it isn't there, move the rod to the hole closest to the pivot point.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Rich's78$pit
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Help with carb... (LB66383)

If you really do have only a 305 (not 350) and it has an RPM intake manifold on it, I think the intake is too big for the engine. I agree it sounds like you are going lean when you start acellerating, or maybe your vacuum advance is cutting out too fast - check the timing(s).
Old 08-07-2003, 01:33 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/45638/
Old 08-07-2003, 03:48 PM
VettePup
Cruising

Default Re: Help with carb... (All)

Thanks everyone, i just got back from a test drive and it seems to be fine now.That article and your suggestions really helped.For future referance can someone identify this carb for me? On the Front Right Base of the Carb are the numbers 1407 3060 and on the Left Rear Top Corner are the numbers 8867 and on the Front is the Metal plate with the Edelbrock name and on the Left side it says Weber. Also i'm pretty sure its a 305 and not a 350 because the block stamp by the Transmission bellhousing it reads 14010201 GM 5.0LO.A 350 would read 5.7L right? Thanks Again Everyone you guys are great! :thumbs:
Old 08-08-2003, 12:26 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

click carburators on the left side menu. Then scroll about 3/4 way down. http://edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

[Modified by biltogo, 11:28 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:29 AM
VettePup
Cruising

Default Re: Help with carb... (biltogo)

Wow, According to that page a 1407 is a 750cfm carb, Isn't that a little large for a 305? Now i'm really wondering whats inside the block.We bought the car from Auto World, Its a lot here in town that specializes in Corvettes and Muscle cars,They had some real incredible cars.The guy told us they dont deal in junk,But ya hear that alot when looking to buy a car.I was really disapointed when i found out it was only a 305,But with the Intake,Carb,Headers and flowmasters,i'm tempted to tear the engine apart to see what i got.Thanks Again!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with carb...

Quick Reply: Help with carb...