C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable rear window tray

Old 08-06-2003, 04:09 PM
mfendley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable rear window tray

I have converted my 77 to have the removable rear window, and I just purchased a tray to hold the rear window, but I'm not entirely sure how the tray mounts. Can someone with a 68-72 explain the tray mounting, or send a couple of pictures? Thanks, Mike.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:12 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Re: Removable rear window tray (mfendley)

Try using the search feature. There is a post with pictures showing the tray support brackets attached to the rear bulkhead. Originally screw went thru the bulkhead into steel plates. Too much trouble for me. I am installing a tray in my 1973 now. I am using wellnuts to hold the tray bracket to the rear bulkhead and to hold the latch bracket to the fiberglass piece under the rear window.
When it get a chance I'll get some pictures and scan the sketch I made showing the hole placement. Hope to get the tray in this saturday.
Roger
Old 08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
mfendley
Advanced

Default Re: Removable rear window tray (RMS73)

I did use the search, and saw the pictures you are speaking of. My question, more specifically, concerns the front catch. It mounts to some sort of fiberglass tray, which does not does not exist in a 77 coupe. If I mounted the catch in the same location, they would protrude into the exterior rear deck, and the tray would not be in a horizontal position when latched. Does your 73 have the fiberglass piece, or did you add it as part of the conversion. Also, do you have a picture of this piece?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Re: Removable rear window tray (mfendley)

The latch mounts into what is the vent area for the Astro-Ventilation. This "tray" also has tubes on the ends for rain water runoff.
The Astro-Ventilation was discontinued in 75 or 76 so you won't the fiberglass surface to mount the latch.
In the post in the archives it shows the latch attached to this fiberglass section. The latch needs to be several inches away from the rear deck inside so as to provide clearance for the window so that it does not hit the deck interior surface.
You should be able to made a bracket coming from the bottom of the rear window cut out that could support the latch.
I'll email pictures when I finish the tray installation.
There is a website for 1977 Corvettes. you could ask over there if anyone has installed the tray. I am not certain of the web address, but the name is some like C3 & 77 Corvettes.
Roger
Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM
mfendley
Advanced

Default Re: Removable rear window tray (RMS73)

Thanks for the additional info - I'm going to have to come up with a custom spacer. I have a '75 parts car, and while it still has the vents in the rear deck behind the rear window, there is no fiberglass tray under the fiberglass deck. I am a member of the 77 vette forum http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.co.../yabb/YaBB.cgi and have written a post on the window conversion. I look forward to your pictures!

Get notified of new replies

To Removable rear window tray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removable rear window tray