C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace dash speakers, Help please

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
garandfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
Cruise-In 7 Car Show Winner

Default Replace dash speakers, Help please

I'm about ready to takle this job. What is the best way to get these puppies out, and new ones in? Do I have to rip the whole dash a part or is there a secret?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Frank
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replace dash speakers, Help please (garandfan)

Yes, you will have to take the dash out to access the speakers. You might be able to reach the passenger side one without the dash out, however, I doubt many have been able to get to the other.

A small metal frame that attaches to the dashpad comes out easily and most new speakers should fit the 4 corner prongs that secure the speaker in place.

If you have the original, paper cone speakers in there, the replacement will be well worth the effort. Search old threads about removal of the dash so that you don't end up buying a new one.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 08-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank

remove all the screws to the upper dash then take out your 'A' pillars, trim to the side of the windsheild. You have to move the dash to one side and kinda angle the other side up the windsheild till almost the top then it should come out. I think mine flexed a little in the middle in order to clear the windsheild post. I used 4 x 6 plates with a little bubba modes to get them to bolt/screw to the under side.

Chris
Old 08-06-2003, 04:14 PM
73Roadster
Advanced

I did mine last weekend and had to take the dash apart...passenger side is easy....drivers side is a tough.
It's also a good time to put new light bulbs in...fix the clock, etc.
Passenger side is about 6 screws...very easy...I would start there and see how it goes.
The driver’s side is harder because you will need to drop the steering column, disconnect the tach, speedo, and light switch.

Take your time the plastic breaks easy...I had to do a little repair work...Bubba stripped out some of the screw holes.

Let me know if you need more details.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace dash speakers, Help please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace dash speakers, Help please