C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:15 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for?

Have a cracked windshield and my insurance is going to replace it. They won't go OEM unless I pay the grand or so difference in the price, so I guess I'll get after-market glass. Is there anything I should watch out for when the local glass guy (who may or may not be related to Bubba) works on my baby? Are they likely to screw anything up where they should have a replacement availabe, like molding or retaining clips? Is there anything unique about our C3s that may give them trouble? There are probably a lot of "one-off" horror stories out there, but is there something that seems to happen recurrently that I should be aware of?
As always, any advice is greatly appreciated. :seeya
Old 08-06-2003, 04:59 PM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for? (LT-1 Larry)

I had my windshield taken out and resealed this past spring. Vette windshields are pretty much a two person job and one of them should know what they are doing with Vette windshields. The way the windshield slides down under the fenders is what makes it easier for 2 people to do.

If you can talk them into to making two trips to do the job it would be a real good time to clean your windshield frame and apply POR 15 to it for rust protection. I also cleaned the 8 inches or so of dash that you can't get to while the windshield is in and put a fresh coat of paint on it. While you are at it, those worn out GM speakers are really easy to replace with the windshield out. If your windshield trim does not look very good it is also a good time to take care of that. I had mine powdercoated satin black and it looks great.

Other than that there really did not appear to be any special tricks that will trip them up. The trim is pretty much like other GM cars of that era to remove/replace. You just need to be sure that you are comfortable with the person doing the repair and try to make sure that they know how to do a Corvette windshield as they are a bit tricky to get down in the fender area with the sealer in place.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Crickett
Racer

Default Re: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for? (79 Midnight Blue L82)

Yeah, I had mine replaced too. I had to take the car to the shop, they wouldn't come to me like they sometimes do (with other cars). I watched the guy put it in and it looked pretty easy. And man could I tell a difference when looking out the windshield. Everything was so much clearer!! :thumbs:
Old 08-06-2003, 05:28 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Thanks, guys. The outfit who is supposed to do the job did tell me that "since it's an old Vette" they would much prefer my bringing it into the shop, and they do not want it driven for 4 hours after they're done so the sealant dries properly. They also are ordering a new molding from GM to have on hand, just in case.

I just finished a complete interior restoration, so my dash and speakers have already been refreshed. In fact, I asked the glass guy if he wanted to do the windshield with the dash out, and he said "No." He said it might be a little easier, but was concerned because the car was up on jacks, and he didn't want to take a chance on the new glass cracking when the weight went back on the wheels. I thought that was pretty good thinking. Overall, it sounds like these guys know what they are doing.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm keeping my mouth shut - and chanting a prayer for you.

The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty. The windshield frame is NOT rusty.

There - that should cover you.

:seeya
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for? (NHvette)

It's also an opportunity to replace the corner mouldings when the glass is out...
Old 08-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for? (Frank75)

Make sure the windshield trim fits correctly against the glass when they are done. the glass needs rubber spacers under it to push it out allowing the proper amount of urethane in, and bringing the glass out far enough that the trim fits tight against the glass.

-Justin
Old 08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for? (Dalannex)

I just had my 75 convertible done last week. My local auto glass shop came to me to do the job. They removed my post weatherstrips and all moldings. They cut the old windshield out. While they were removing all of the old sealant, I cleaned my dash pad and cleaned the overspray off of the cornner lower widshield weatherstrips. After all of the old sealant was removed they inspected the windshield frame for rust out. Mine was ok. They then applied black primer around the frame. Next they applied a thick bead of sealant and then set the windshield in place.

They then applied more sealant, reinstalled all of the moldings and weatherstrips and cleaned up. Total time from start to finnish was just under 40 mins. They told me not to drive it for 4 hours and gave me a bill for $230.00. What a difference no more wiper marks and that sandy pitted look.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for?

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement: Anything to watch out for?