C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Roller Tip Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:29 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Noisy Roller Tip Rockers?

I remember reading in the forum that some people have had trouble with theComp Cams Roller Tip Rockers being noisy, even when adjusted properly. Can anybody comment on this brand?

Also, is there a real performance gain over the stamped steel long slot rockers?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:59 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers? (bigvette1)

Didn't gain diddly squat when I put them on my small block, not in the "seat of the pants" anyway. I have since broke 2 of them (NOT Compcams but another brand), and went back to the factory rockers. :cheers:
Old 08-06-2003, 01:29 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers? (tnt76vette)

I know my full roller rockers are noisey with a solid cam, probably get some noise from roller tip but not muxh muxh with hydraulic cam I would think. :D
Old 08-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the CC1.6 roller tips for over ten years with my 6500 red line mechanical Crane cam. I don't notice anything. Properly adjusted with a hydrolic cam they should quiet.

Additional lift is more power up to the point where the heads don't flow any additional CFM. The % of power increase is small though. But every little bit helps:)

[Modified by Lt1er, 12:34 PM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers? (Lt1er)

I have had mine for quite some time now. I have a solid cam so most of the valve train noise is from thethe solid cam. They should be quiet on a hyd. cam. The Comp Cams roller tips are much stronger than any stamped rocker arm. I have seen a breakage test done on all types of rockers. The Comp Cams roller tips are almost the same as roller rockers as far as how much force it takes to break them. I have not heard of to many broken Comp Cams roller tip rockers. They are pretty good for any flat tappet cam.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers? (Gordonm)

I have CC1.72 roller tips on my 454. It has a hydraulic roller cam. I can't hear the rockers at all. They've been on there for about 4 years now.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:06 PM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the 1.52 CC rockers on my car about two years ago and I consider them very noisy at idle. The rockers have had a noticable tick since the minute I put them on. I have repeatedly adjusted the rockers by the clacking method and by turning the pushrods until just snug and the noise won't go away. They seem to run fine and as soon as I raise the rpm above idle there is no noise. I can't tell if a tip is the culprit or one of the grooved *****.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers? (28buick)

Noisy lifter/rocker at idle can be an indication of poor oil pressure/volume.
A few RPMS - and the pump is going good - everything quiets down.
I would look for a high volume pump over high pressure.

:seeya
Old 08-07-2003, 08:30 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

28buick - This is what I am hearing is the noise at idle. When the engine really warms up it pretty much goes away. The entire valve train is new, except the roller rockers which probably had about 1000 miles on them. I have adjusted both ways and still the ticking noise. Yes, the engine seems to run well. Pulls 16-17" of vacuum and idles down to 700 with a drift of only about 1/2 point on a vacuum gauge. The noise is the same before I rebuilt the engine. That is why I asked did anyone else notice this with Comp Cams RR1.72's?

When I rebuilt the engine I used a Melling High Volumn (p/n MHV xx) oil pump and a new rod. Oh yes, there is high pressure at least 60-70ibs at idle.

Guess if it runs well then don't mess with it. Break it in for 500 or so miles and maybe readjust again to see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy Roller Tip Rockers?

Quick Reply: Noisy Roller Tip Rockers?