C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:19 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start

Tried again with my electrical problem. this time i took out all the fuses, and well, i forgot my meter at work, so i was working blindly. I'm starting to think it has to be a ground. Especially that the head lights come on (dimly) with no fuses. Some guy just told me at work that the headlights are un-fused. Anyone know? and any ideas? before i start an electrical fire and burn my behind.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (bloodvette80)

Sounds like a short, if the battery cable is getting hot as soon as connected. On the headlight actuator there should be two sets of wires that connect to each side. One is for the headlight power, the other is a single wire, blkack I think. On my '76 the single black wire was disconnected on the pass side, but all the lights worked. I'm wondering if perhaps mine was pulled for the same reason. Again, just guessing, trying to help.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:47 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (Dwayne 76)

I would think that the black wire going to the light would be the ground and needed for the lights to illuminate... if yours is disconnected, it must be using a different gound in the loop and backfeeding which may work fine.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (bloodvette80)

Hmmm, I was thinking that perhaps the wire was casuing the short, though if it is it to would be a tad bit warm. It could be the wire that feeds the headlights has been stripped over time and is connecting with the frame, or some other ground location.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:01 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (Dwayne 76)

K i mentioned a poor ground. Well my headlights didn't go dim until later, which turned out to be a dieing battery, but earlier in the evening I was trying the starter and it wouldnt enguage. I think i may be missing my ground strap, that woven cable ground strap connecting the block to the frame. That would explain the chattering starter..... :confused:
Old 08-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Ahhhh, good point. I forgot about your statement, was just thinking about the dimming headlight.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:15 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd suggest starting at the battery and working your way forward rather than the opposite. Check the positive from battery to starter and from starter to laternator and horn relay.
Check the ground from battery to frame and from frame to block.
After you are convinced that these are perfect, move to individual systems.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:15 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

First thing i guess is to measure the voltage difference between the frame and the block, it will be zero with a ground strap and maybe 1 or 2 volts if its missing, during cranking may go higher. I"ll do that tonight.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Glutamine83
Racer

should i bring the jimmy beam over tonight?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (Glutamine83)

quit teasing
Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a spark plug shield on the passenger side (near the starter) cut into the cable from the battery.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:02 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (Jim Shea)

Know when I replaced my starter and hooked up the wires to the solenoid the fusible link was contorted and made contact with the frame. When I went to go hook up the battery sparks galore...just be careful. Rechecked the wiring and found the fuseable link touching metal fixed it and wahla...no more sparks. Would think if you had a short..when you connected battery there would be some, at least, small sparking going on...!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:11 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start (81' Corvette Guy)

yes that there is. not a fireworks show but some small sparks.

Get notified of new replies

To removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start

Quick Reply: removed all fuses, battery cables get hot as soon as connected, won't start