C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Enduring Freedom

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Enduring Freedom

I'm at one of the "stans" fighting terrorism. I have a question concerning my 1980 Vette steering column. Does anybody know the dimensions? I am thinking about putting in an Ididit. column. Does Ididit make one for my year Vette? Their website won't let me search.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Hello from Enduring Freedom (greatgonzoglenn)

Hey I just called them about it. We do a lot of custom hot rods here to and we use them for our columns as well. As for now they do not make one for the vettes. However, they do make a universal column but not w/the ignition key on it. You would have to mount it on the dash. They are coming out w/a key ignition column but not for another couple of months. They do have universal columns that measure 16, 28, 30, 32 and 35". It's measured from the steering wheel mounting point to the output shaft.

Why do you want an IDIDIT column?

[Modified by Van Steel, 8:35 AM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Hershey
Racer

Hi Glen, its great to hear from you. I'm keeping an eye on your Vette and Camaro for you. You said to go ahead and finish the Vette while you were gone, but you didn't leave any new parts or cash, and I'll need one or the other. It's great that you can get online in the boonies on the other side of the world. E-mail us sometime. Hershey :chevy :chevy
Old 08-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Hello from Enduring Freedom (Hershey)

Glen,
Good luck over there my man. Our prayers and best wishes to all of you men and women defending freedom.

I have only one observation concerning your idea about an Ididit tilt steering column for your C3. General Motors and Saginaw Steering Gear Division spent millions of dollars and conducted thousands of tests developing the first and second generation energy absorbing steering columns for GM vehicles in the late 1960s, 70s, right on through today.

For a vehicle like your C3 that is driven on the street, I really hate to see you replace the collapsible, energy absorbing column that was designed specifically for that vehicle with a rigid steering column. Both the standard (non-adjustable) and the tilt & telescoping production steering columns were designed to collapse and absorb energy is a severe frontal collision.

I might ask, what is wrong with the production T&T column for your C3?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:58 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

VanSteel, I thought they were the only company that makes these type of steering columns. Do you know of anybody else? :flag

Hershey, I thought you said if there was ANYTHING I needed while I was gone...... didn't say anything about new parts or money:lol: Should be home before everybody knows it. :flag
Old 08-07-2003, 12:03 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Default Re: Hello from Enduring Freedom (Jim Shea)

Jim, nothings wrong with it. I like to explore all of my options. Of course like a dope, I did not even think about the collapsable steering column. I've never had (knock on wood) a major accident, but really don't like the idea of a huge spear pointed at my chest. I may just remove the one I have and rebuild and tidy up the one I have. Thanks for your input. :flag
Old 08-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

There is a guy by the name of Tom who owns Corvette Steering Service out of SC. He rebuilds columns. I'm w/Jim Shea on this one. I think your much better off w/a vette column than anybody elses. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Hello from Enduring Freedom

Quick Reply: Hello from Enduring Freedom