C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker vs Hedman

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:48 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hooker vs Hedman

Was wondering if anyone was running or had experience with the Hedman brand. Hooker seems to get the best reviews for fit and finish but was trying to get as much input as possible.

This would be on a BB 'Vette.

Thanks, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 08-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Hooker vs Hedman (marky mark)

Have heard the same as you, but TTT anyways.

Hedman was well-received by BSeery.

I will be installing Hedmans soon.

-Steve
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hooker vs Hedman (Pacin'California)

Thanks, the Hedmans are 2" primaries I believe. That might be a bit big for my engine. Maybe the Hookers or even the Thorleys ??

Regards, Mark
Old 08-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

What's your planned power output?

I should mention above that I'm installing on a SB.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:00 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hooker vs Hedman (Pacin'California)

Well, if I stick with a semi stock re-build on the 427 L-36 I guess with the headers I might hit 310 rear wheel HP and around 340 trq. Maybe a bit more.

Other idea was to go the stroker route and then I would think everything would increase by 75-100 or so. So the 496 w/ headers 400 rwhp and 430 rw trq.

These are estimates based on what I've seen in print. I've gone on the conservative side of the estimate figuring a loss of 22% compared to flywheel #'s.

It's fun to think of what can be done with different scenarios.

Later, Mark
Old 08-06-2003, 01:18 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

MotorHead and I are both running HEdmans, I think his are about 8 years old, mine 1. No problems with them at all. Buy good gaskets though ie aluminum or copper, they seal much better and last longer than the ones that come with them.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Hooker Comp. headers. Look good, sound great and fit was excellent. I am using the hooker gaskets as well. No leaks.

Mine's small block. I have heard there may be ground clearance issue with BB cars. Just a caution....

Good luck :cheers:
Old 08-06-2003, 01:25 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Hooker vs Hedman (gdh)

I really, really like the fit and finish of the Hedman headers. No complaints here.
Just use some quality locking bolts, like the stage 8 locking SS bolts and you wont have problems with the gaskets.
Hedman says most gasket problems are due to bolts backing out. Then people torque them down again and try to re-crush the gaskets. They were against the aluminum and copper gaskets as to re-crush them meant applying even more torque than the first time. After a couple times you end up torquing so much to get them to seal that you warp and ruin the main header flange.
They told me just to use the paper gaskets. They believe the problem lies in the bolts, and not gaskets. Use the Stage 8 locking bolts, torque them to 30, drive moderately for 1/2 hour, let the car sit overnight. Then re-torque to 30 and lock them in. After they are locked in, the bolts and the gaskets CAN'T go anywhere.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hooker vs Hedman (BSeery)

Thanks for all the good replies.

I finally got off the fence (& the wallet) and made a decision about something related to my 'Vette (which isn't running now {another story}).

I ordered from Jet Hot Coatings direct. I had read somewhere here about a discount they give if you mention the Corvette Forum. They gave me a substancial discount over what I was quoted for these one year ago. So, thanks for the tip from whoever gave it to me on one of these header related threads!!

These are: Hooker Super Comps #2123 for 65-74, 396-454 'Vettes. The primaries are 1&7/8" by 30" long with 3" collectors. I didn't want to go with the larger primaries.

Price delivered direct from Jet Hot was $585. This is $90 less than previous quote. This is also about what a set of Hooker's coated version of this Header costs from Summit. I have heard the Jet Hot coating covers the entire inside of the tubes while the Hooker version is not that thorough (no personal knowledge of this claim).

I am hoping this will get me motivated to raise the cash for another engine re-build or crate motor swap. Maybe I'll be on the road before the New Year!!

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker vs Hedman

Quick Reply: Hooker vs Hedman