C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the heck is the timing mark !

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 07:47 PM
perk77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the heck is the timing mark !

Put new plugs, rotor, cap etc on my car but never really checked the timing since I've had it. Finally got around to checking it tonight but I can't see the mark on the balancer. There's only one mark and I even filled it in with white paint so it would be easy to see. But it's no where to be found when I have the timing light on it. I know I have it on the number one wire and I checked it with the vacuum line plugged and unplugged but can't get the line to show up. Could the balancer have twisted around some how ? The car's running too well to be so far out of time the mark's not showing. I'm afraid to try turning the distributor cause I may not be able to get it back the way it was without any mark to go by. Any ideas on what might be wrong? :confused:
Thanks for any help.

Doug
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (perk77)

Doug,

I'll give you the location of the timing mark on the harmonic balance on my '74 engine that is now sitting on the engine stand. Logic would say that since the harmonic balancer is indexed to the crank with a keyway and to the cam with the timing gears(chain), so would the timing mark. I've never had a balancer give way, so just theorizing and never really thought about it. Maybe others will pipe in and shoot this down or confirm it.

Anyway.... locate the keyway on the front of the crank where the balancer is inserted. Mark it. My timing mark on the balancer falls about 5 degrees counterclockwise of the keyway.

Alright guys/gals..... rip this theory up! :cheers:
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (bgrice)

It is very common for the blaancer to slip on these cars. It does not slip on the shaft, but on the rubber cushion. You will probably find that it is turned and they have a habbit of rubbing on the timing cover and causing leaks.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (wombvette)

It is very common for the blaancer to slip on these cars. It does not slip on the shaft, but on the rubber cushion. You will probably find that it is turned and they have a habbit of rubbing on the timing cover and causing leaks.
wombvette,

That is the question Doug is asking.... "Has it rotated?" Maybe if we can give him something to reference off of he can mark the balancer and see if shows up on his timing light. He says the engine runs well and I think all of us can agree that you can't too far off on timing for it to be that way. Probably 1/4 of this forum has an engine sitting readily accessible(new or out for rebuild) to look at their timing mark on the balancer corresponding to the keyway on the crank. That's the only reference point I can think of. Heck... the engine I have on the stand ran like *carp*, so who knows if I was timing off of fictitious marks. I never liked fish anyway.... it smells like.... never mind. :cheers:
Old 08-06-2003, 12:09 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

My balancer is about 90degree off at the moment. They can definitely slip. What you need is one of those top dead center gadgets that screw into the number one cylinder (it's a brass tool with a screw inside the fitting that goes in the spark plug hole--it's called a TDC finder or a cylinder stop. Summit sells them for about $16). With one of those, you can find the exact TDC and remark your balancer. If it's off, you don't want to drive it a whole lot until you replace the balancer or rebuild it (I know a guy who rebuilds them mailorder if you're interested in keeping the original). It could completely seperate and fly off and really screw up your motor, including your bearings.

JB
Old 08-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (JB)

JB....

I noticed a thread you had about rebuilding balancers to OEM specs. I can now see why. Did you have any luck?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

JB....

I noticed a thread you had about rebuilding balancers to OEM specs. I can now see why. Did you have any luck?
Not yet. Too busy (& lazy!) to take the darned thing off the car yet. :bb Also waiting for the balancer I ordered to use for a temporary replacement to come in.

JB
Old 08-06-2003, 11:15 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

..... I know I have it on the number one wire .....
Try it with the timing light on the #6 plug.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:00 PM
perk77
Instructor

Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (mapman)

Thanks for all the responses...Mapman why the number 6 plug???

Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be 100% sure get a tdc locator and find where tdc and what your balancer reads. I have a Proforma cover for my balancer so I don't have to worry about outer ring slip. You could easily put one one and not have to pull the balancer.

[Modified by Fevre, 11:09 AM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Bnine
Instructor

If you are unsure of where your TDC is because of possible balancer cushion slip, here is a solution that you can perform to determine TDC. You have to be very careful, although not to damage the top of the piston. Get a 12mm bolt, screw by hand into the front left (#4 cylinder) spark plug hole until it enters approx 1/4 into the head. Manually, by hand, turn the engine slowly clockwise until the top of the piston lightly touches the bolt, be sure to not force the piston into the bolt. Mark the balancer at the timing bracket with white out. Then rotate the engine counterclockwise manually, by hand, again turning the engine slowly counterclockwise until the top of the piston comes back up and again lightly touches the bolt, again being sure to not force the piston into the bolt. Once again mark the balancer at the timing bracket with white out. Measure the distance between the marks and halfway between the marks should be perfect TDC.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (Bnine)

If you are unsure of where your TDC is because of possible balancer cushion slip, here is a solution that you can perform to determine TDC. You have to be very careful, although not to damage the top of the piston. Get a 12mm bolt, screw by hand into the front left (#4 cylinder) spark plug hole until it enters approx 1/4 into the head. Manually, by hand, turn the engine slowly clockwise until the top of the piston lightly touches the bolt, be sure to not force the piston into the bolt. Mark the balancer at the timing bracket with white out. Then rotate the engine counterclockwise manually, by hand, again turning the engine slowly counterclockwise until the top of the piston comes back up and again lightly touches the bolt, again being sure to not force the piston into the bolt. Once again mark the balancer at the timing bracket with white out. Measure the distance between the marks and halfway between the marks should be perfect TDC.
:iagree:

Mine was over 100° out. It's no surprise that you can't see your mark.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:55 PM
perk77
Instructor

Default Re: Where the heck is the timing mark ! (wcsinx)

Think my best move with the least amount of hassle will be to put on a new balancer which I guess I will have to do eventually. Still wondering about that #6 plug thing but thanks for all the replies.

:cheers:

Doug
Old 08-06-2003, 10:42 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

... Still wondering about that #6 plug thing ....
If the cam has been replaced the timing may be 180 degrees off.

Get notified of new replies

To Where the heck is the timing mark !

Quick Reply: Where the heck is the timing mark !