C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:33 PM
vethead
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers

I have used Thorley nickel plated headers before, and they were great, seemed very strong with thick flanges and the like. The nickel plated coating did change color some. I have never used the Dynomax ceramic coated headers, but have heard good things before. Anybody with experience with these, please chime in. How well does the coating on the Dynomax last? Does it stain easy, flake off, or anything. The Thorleys changed color, but they never flaked, and could be cleaned easily. Have also been told the Dynomax ones reduce temps under the hood. Any truth to that.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:19 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (vethead)

I've got Dynomax ceramic coated headers and the coating seems to be good. I put a few scratches in mine while installing and then probably a few more while pulling out my engine, but no coating flakes off or anything. They did get a slightly dull look to them after running them for a short while, but I still think they look good. They clean easily as well, the coating is smooth...
Old 08-05-2003, 04:24 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (vethead)

I've used those headers on a couple of old Chevy's and alway had great experience with them. I have a new set for my Vette, but haven't installed them yet.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,162 Likes on 486 Posts

I have the chrome Thorley's on my '64 and they turned blue in no time. They are GREAT headers and very quiet due to their thick metal. Eventually, I found a local place that stripped the chrome and applied a ceramic coating for $150/pr. (They only shoot the inside as far as they can from the outside though.) Headers were coated literally years ago and still look like the day I put them back on.

Coating place is (was) in Anaheim, CA. (Crest coatings I believe.) They did aerospace and formula car coatings.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (toddalin)

I'm encouraged to hear good things about Thorley! Mine will be installed soon! I made a mistake when I ordered, I ordered the chrome, then had them sand blasted and shipped to Jet-Hot to be coated. Thorley gives you the option of ordering them bare. That would have saved me a significant amount of money.

But they turned out beautiful. I just hope they fit!

~Jay
Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (Jay M)

I have nothing but good things to say for the Dynomax they have been on a year and a half and no problems or color change or flaking..I blew transmission fluid all over thm also(line blew) and I managed to clean them completely.....Can't beat the value either and they fit :cheers:

[Modified by Alwyn678, 12:38 PM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 05:33 PM
OldSchool
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (Alwyn678)

Who sells those Dynomax headers? What do they cost?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (OldSchool)

Who sells those Dynomax headers? What do they cost?
Summit, Jeg's, etc about $220, well worth it IMHO.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:52 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers (Jay M)

I'm encouraged to hear good things about Thorley! Mine will be installed soon! I made a mistake when I ordered, I ordered the chrome, then had them sand blasted and shipped to Jet-Hot to be coated. Thorley gives you the option of ordering them bare. That would have saved me a significant amount of money.

But they turned out beautiful. I just hope they fit!

~Jay
Thorley sells them with ceramic coating too, same thing as Jet Hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers

Quick Reply: Thorley Nickel Plated Headers vs. Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers