C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Zachary76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion?

Been a long time since I posted, another expensive girlfriend, buying a house, and a few other financial things I had to get out of the way before I set in, and hey hey hey what do you know it's a three paycheck month so it's time to actually get workin on my '76.

Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about cars and I'm learning so if it sounds like I'm in over my head and don't know quite what I'm doing then the answer is YES! :)

I have an Automatic 1976, and the Transmission though rebuilt shortly before I purchased the car (I have no reason to doubt this as everything else is dirty as hell but the transmission is all spiffy clean) a year and some odd months ago died trying to drive it to my new house (car was purchased barely running and has barely run since)
I was driving along and the transmission went TINK and it was like I was in neutral in any gear.

I have a since aquired a spare 700R4 Automatic Transmission (free is the magic word) originally destined for a 1985 Corvette but installed in my friends van (the van is dead and in the junk yard but the transmission is fine and only has about 15,000 miles on it)

I understand that the 700R4 should fit fine with a shortened drive shaft, and a few other modifications, however, and this is a big however, I would rather have a manual transmission. (don't we all hee hee)

My questions are:

What is the easiest 4/5 speed (of course, the more speeds the better) stick-shift to put in a 76 with the least
amount of hassle? (ha ha, no hassle conversion, I know I know, keep dreaming)

I've seen somewhere a conversion kit for sale (Ecklers I think?) and was wondering if anyone has used one, what it contains and any general opinion on them.

I guess the avenue I'm shooting for is the most number of interchangable parts/least amount of modification to what I
have already and any suggestions or tips on what I would like to do and who/what/where I need to go for info and the parts I will need to accomplish the task.

It just seemed to me while my car is dead in the water that I might as well go for what I want or swap out the transmission like-for-like now without having to go to the trouble to get a shortened drive shaft/blah blah blah to put
the 700R4 in there if it's only to get the car going, and isn't the final configuration I'm shooting for, and maybe I can find someone who wants to trade a manual transmission for the 700R4 with some cash on the side.

I'm sure this has probably been a topic before in the forum, but I can't seem to find the search function for the life of me.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion? (Zachary76)

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transm...ette_68-82.asp
I guess is about simpliest way to go. They have a 6spd available now, just not listed. A full conversion kit is available as an option, but no price.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I put a Richmond 5-spd in mine, no changes to driveshaft or yolk. I had to weld a slotted plate to move the trans mount back a bit and some trimming of the trans tunnel and center console - not too bad. The most work was changing the pedal assy. Found the pedals used, but you will need the z-bar and clutch linkage. Also, you need to weld a clutch pivot on the chassis and install a clutch ball on the side of the motor (should allready be a threaded hole).

any manaual trans + short gears = more fun

good luck
Old 08-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion? (68427)

Auto to Manual is my next big investment. :lurk:
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Zachary76
Instructor

Default Re: Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion? (Schmucker)

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transm...ette_68-82.asp
I guess is about simpliest way to go. They have a 6spd available now, just not listed. A full conversion kit is available as an option, but no price.
I just called and talked to a person there at Keisler, though I forgot to ask about the
six speed. I asked for a quote on the full auto - manual conversion kit and the grand
total I got was:

GM Bellhousing (Reconditioned) $149
Inspection Cover - $29
Flywheel - $259 (+bolts $25)
Clutch - $174 + Disc $95
Throwout bearing - $49
Pedal Assembly and Linkage Kit - $400 (reconditioned Pedal Assembly)
Upper Boot $49 and Lower -$35
Shipping to Texas: $125
Grand total for the whole deal (including $100 off and the free shifter handle): $4178

This was for my 1976, I figured I'd post it since I saw the earlier thread with the pictures of their 1979 and a few people wanted to know about the conversion kit. (they are doing a 1974 now, so there should be pics of that coming soon apparently)

So, anyway, thoughts? I suppose the only issue I have at this point is that the quote runs more than my car cost me originally :lolg: . Welcome to the world of putting more into the car than you paid for it. The transmission seemed pricey at first to me
until my boss that races mustangs told me that she uses a Tremec and it definately ain't your mommas tranny.

Everything else on the list appears to be reasonably priced to my limited knowledge.

So, anyone want to buy a gently used 700R4 for the low low price of ... say ... $4200? :thumbs:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. :)
Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Is the bell housing what covers the flywheel??
Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
PureSilver
Racer

Default Re: Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion? (Dwayne 76)

Well, it kind of holds your transmission to the engine...

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion?

Quick Reply: Questions about Automatic to Stick conversion?